Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues in Civil 3D 2015 not occurring in Civil 3D 2013

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
zevcohen
775 Views, 11 Replies

Issues in Civil 3D 2015 not occurring in Civil 3D 2013

I have 2 particular files that were created/modified in Civil 3D 2013 that have issues when opened in Civil 3D 2015. On the first file, after opening and attempting to draw a line, Civil 2015 will freeze for various amounts of time then unfreeze. On the 2nd drawing, selecting any object in the drawing will cause Civil 2015 to freeze, then unfreeze. These problems do not occur in Civil 2013 on the same computer. Our CAD users have Civil 2013 and Civil 2015 installed side by side. I can open a copy of the file in both versions of Civil on the same computer side by side. 2015 has the issue, 2013 does not. I have done this with both files on 4 different PC's with the same results. After all the research, troubleshooting, etc. that I have done, (video drivers, settings, etc.) It comes down to one question for me.  Shouldn't a file that works perfectly in 2013 work fine in 2015 on the same computer? Again, I've tried this on 4 different PC's. I didn't want to write a mile long post, so I am omitting all the troubleshooting steps, but I'd be happy to elaborate if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: zevcohen

Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

I assume as you have R2013 the PC is at least 2 years old? Does it meet the requirements of R2015 (not minimum but intermediate)?

Have you checked the usual suspects?
Digital Signitures.
Hardware Acceleration.
Mapped network drives in the Application Paths.

Post your specifications here.
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 12
zevcohen
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

All Dell PC's, all Windows 7 Pro SP1.

Precision T1600 purchased 7/2012

Xeon E3-1245 3.3 GHz

16 GB. RAM

Quadro 2000 Video 1.0 GB.

Precision M6700 Laptop purchased 3/2013

Xeon Core i7-3740 2.7 GHz.

16 GB. RAM

Quadro K3000M Video 2.0 GB.

Precision T1650 purchased 8/2013

Xeon E3-1270 3.5 GHz.

16 GB. RAM

Quadro K2000 Video 2.0 GB.

Precision T3600 purchased 1/2014

Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz.

16 GB. RAM

Quadro K4000 3.0 GB.

According to what I read, I'm way above minimum requirements for 2015, unless I'm missing something.

Check:

Digital Signatures: Not sure what you're referring to.

Hardware Acceleration: Tried Off and On

Drives are being opened from local C: drive. All mapped paths for support files are valid paths. Civil 2015 installed local, no network license, no network application paths.

Message 4 of 12
zevcohen

I think I was on the wrong track regarding the 1st problem file mentioned in my original post...(and forgive my CAD terminology, I'm not a CAD user)

In C3D 2015 if I zoom way out and draw a line there is no freezing. If I zoom way in there is. After detaching all XREF's (one of which was a survey), then purging, and looking at the file, one of the CAD users said that there was AECC 3D points and contours on the drawing. They suspected that this had to do with why there is freezing when drawing deeper inside the drawing. It seems as though C3D 2015 is doing something in the background after I hit the LINE command (or select Line from the Ribbon). What's still strange, however is that the same file opened on the same computer in C3D 2013 does not behave like this.

Hope this sheds some light.

Message 5 of 12
Pointdump

Zev,

Have you installed Service Pack 1 on 2015? Reaching, but worth a try.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 12
zevcohen
in reply to: Pointdump

Yes, SP1 is installed.

After more investigation, I have determined the following:

In the 1st file I described in my original post, there was a particular layer that when turned off, caused the problem to go away. When this particular layer was turned on, I could not draw a line in the drawing. I verified this fix on several different computers. But, for another wrinkle, there is one computer that this problem NEVER occurs on. If I open the drawing on this one particular computer, I can leave the problem layer turned on and I can draw in the file all day. Obviously that begs the question, what is different about this computer? In terms of specs, it is identical to # 4 in my previous post. Beyond that, I don't know. I also came across another file that had the exact same problem. There was a bad layer that, when turned on, did not allow you to draw a line in the drawing. Turn that layer off, and the problem goes away. It was not the same bad layer as discovered in the other drawing. Other than how to fix this issue, I still don't know why it does not occur in 2013.

The 2nd file I described in my original post was more of a performance issue. After changing some performance settings in Windows 7 I got the file to work better than it did before, but there is still a little hesitation when selecting / deselecting objects. Again, this problem never occurred in 2013. I made the same changes to every CAD computer in my office, with the intention of getting 2015 to perform at least as fast as 2013. This still leaves me wondering, shouldn't 2015 perform at least as well as 2013 on the same computer?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Meanwhile, I'll be researching how a bad layer locks up an entire drawing.

Message 7 of 12
rl_jackson

It would be interesting to know what exactly is on this "bad layer"

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
zevcohen
in reply to: rl_jackson

The layer is called CONT-MNR. 2 screenshots attached. Let me know if you need more info (and how to get it) As previously stated, I'm not a CAD user.

Message 9 of 12
rl_jackson

That sounds like a possible issue with a surface or surface style.

Out of curiosity is LEVELOFDETAIL set to on if so maybe try turning it off.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
zevcohen

Tried LEVELOFDETAIL off and on, no difference.

Message 11 of 12
rl_jackson

I was grasping at straw's, it just seems like there may be an issue with the surface or surface style if you having an issue with that particular layer.

But you will want to keep LEVELOFDETAIL off - I work in theory but not in practice.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
zevcohen

Thanks everyone for the input. I presented a couple of different issues in this post. As far as the drawing that locks up when drawing a line (also discovered a 2nd drawing doing the same thing) I will let the CAD users try to figure out the issue with the surface or surface style. However, this still doesn't explain why these same drawings do not exhibit this issue when opened in Civil 2013. Because of this, I was thinking that there was something "wrong" with Civil 2015

Then of course there is the one PC with Civil 2015 that this file never misbehaves on, which then got me thinking that there was something different about the way this particular PC was configured vs. all the others. Still haven't figured that one out yet.

As far as the other issue I described with the hesitaiton when selecting objects in the drawing, I have gotten it to perform better (as I previously stated) in Civil 2015 but it still performs even better in Civil 2013. Again this was leading me to believe that there was something "wrong" with Civil 2015.

When I installed Civil 2015 I assumed that it would perform at leat as fast as Civil 2013 on the same computer, which I'm finding not to be the case. It's not night and day different, but Civil 2015 seems to be just a bit slower. I was hoping to hear if anyone else was having the same or similar issues, so I could maybe narrow down the problem, or even determne if there is a problem that can be fixed. I would still welcome any feedback on that.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report