Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isolating points within a closed polyline

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
BECKETTBOYD1983
4148 Views, 6 Replies

Isolating points within a closed polyline

I have created a Civil 3D drawing with over 150,000 points (residential lot locations). I want to select only about 10,000 within a closed, erratic polyline boundary without selecting each one or several. Then I would like to create a text file with location of each point. Please advise on the procedure. I have tried query methood but either I don't know what to do or I am choosing the wrong method.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: BECKETTBOYD1983

Create a point group>> include tab , use drawing selection : for drawing selection enter CP at tne command line, now outline the erratict polygon, enter when done.

export points>> by group>> select your group

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
BECKETTBOYD1983
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for the reply. I will try this, but do I need to outline the polyline or just select it. There is no way I can outline it, very erratic. It is a contour of flood zone..

Message 4 of 7
Jay_B

One way to do this is to create a copy of the file for use as a working drawing which will be used to delete everything but the isolated points using maptrim, which can then be exported to an ascii file.

1. Copy the file.

2. In the copied.dwg, enter MAPTRIM at the command line. (see below for settings which should work to retain points within your polyline boundary selected).

3. Export remaining Points > Output Tab of Ribbon > Export Panel > Export Points.

Warning, Maptrim is a very powerful command and caution should be taken by first copying the file.

This will provide the ascii text file of the roughly 10,000 points you seek.

maptrim.PNG

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 7
Jay_B

One more important tidbit, if the Contour line you have is a C3d contour object and your unable to select it as a boundary, then in the copy.dwg:

Select the Contour > Surface Contextual Ribbon > Surface Tools Panel > Extract Objects > Major or Minor Contour as appropriate > OK.

This creates a polyline directly on the contour lines which will be selected as the trim boundary.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 6 of 7
johngordon6189
in reply to: Jay_B

If this is in C3d 2015, use the lasso selection method and run along the polyline.

John Gordon
CAD Manager/Survey Technician

C3D 2018/2020
Microstation
Windows 10
Message 7 of 7
Buzz0m

Hi,

I know this is a old post and probably dead, but since there is no accepted solution I will give my 5 cents.

I workaround I've used is to create a surface and use ALL the points as defining objects (drawing objects>points). After this use the polyline you have as a boundary object. After this set the surface style so that it displays the points. Now you can extract these points from the surface. Be sure to use different layers, otherwise you will have duplicate points. Bear in mind that these are not the ORIGINAL points, but a new set of points.

- F

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report