Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to create a label style that uses curve chord grid direction?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
pcchenard
531 Views, 6 Replies

Is there a way to create a label style that uses curve chord grid direction?

We typically collect all ouf our field work in a State Plane coordinate system.  When we want to relate a survey to a pre-recorded survey we have been rotating the data to match the pre-recorded bearing basis.  I want prefer to the the transform settings in the drawing rather than actually rotating the data.  The only problem is that I don't see a way to add a curve label style that calculates a "Curve Chord Grid Direction" like I do for adding a "General Segment Grid Direction" for a straight line label.  Am I missing something somewhere?  I was hoping to avoid having to create an expression every time I need to do this.

Any suggestions or tips?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: pcchenard

Not sure I'm understanding what you want to do. Are you trying to keep your drawings in State Plane? Sinc made several excellent vids of the transformation process:
http://www.quuxsoft.com/Video_Tutorials.aspx

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7
pcchenard
in reply to: Pointdump

Yes, I want to leave the data in State Plane Coordinates and then use the Transformation Rotation Angle (attachment) to adjust the bearings to match a pre-recorded survey.  I can easily do this for straight lines using the "General Segment Grid Direction" line label component (attachment).  But there is no equivalent component for a curve chord bearing.  So I have to resort to creating an expression to apply to the curve labels to accomplish the same thing.  It is just one more step that I would like to eliminate.

I have created the following expression (below) to use in a curve label, however I have to edit this in every drawing depending on what the transformaion angle ends up being for that particular drawing.

{General Segment Curve Chord Direction}-DEG2RAD(0)

I would prefer not to have to make this edit every time.  Is there an expression I can use to automatically pull the setting from the Transformation Rotation Angle setting so I don't have to edit this every time?

Thanks for the link to the videos, I will check them out.

Message 4 of 7
ntocco
in reply to: pcchenard

Did you ever find a solution to this?  If not can you explain how you are making the expression work.  When I create the expression the result is 3 question marks....

Message 5 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: ntocco

8 years later the Grid Direction is still not available on curves, so you'll have to use an expression for the transformation angle rotation of curves to get the geodetic direction. OOPS!!!

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
ntocco
in reply to: rl_jackson

Can you tell me where I'm going wrong with this expression?

Message 7 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: ntocco

Yes, expressions don't work in curve tables. It should however work on the curve.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report