Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true?? Caice & Civil 3d software merging?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
629 Views, 9 Replies

Is it true?? Caice & Civil 3d software merging?

We bought Caice a few months ago and have been waiting for our training
schedule for it. So we called our reseller and they said Caice & Civil 3d
software programs are merging, so they are to wait until the new software is
released. I thought that Civil 3d was going to stay a part of our LDD/Civil
vip package. And if that is the case what did we dump 20 grand into our 1
Caice seat for? Is this true? Did we ****? Anybody have
any info on this?

Thanks,
Todd
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You're reseller is either: (a) drunk at work, or (b) talking out of turn (c) GROSSLY misinformed I would guess option C, but you never know. There's been no public word of anything like this. Stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't get in a snit just yet. -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I am not knowledgeable about Autodesk's strategy for CAICE, but I suspect
that CAICE was purchased so that Autodesk could offer it to customers who
wanted it while at the same time eliminating a competitor, or to gain legal
rights to some of it's code. Perhaps some of that code is being incorporated
in Civil 3D, but I would be surprised if CAICE ends up as some sort of
appendage to Civil3D.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

It's true, from what I have been told. I attended a local users group for CAiCE where there were Autodesk staff in attendance. We were informed that Civil 3D is to replace CAiCE and LDD, but not for about 2 years. For now, they will continue to offer upgrades to both products. Whether users switch from CAiCE to Civil 3D will be dependant upon Civil 3D's capabilities (Autodesk opinion) I have been using CAiCE for preliminary road design, with great success. From what I have seen about Civil 3D using the beta version, the concept is good, but it requires a different mind set. Keith Biggs RF Binnie & Associates Ltd. #103 - 7382 Winston Street, Burnaby, B.C. V5A 2G9 Phone: 604-420-1721 (ext 238) Fax: 604-420-4743 "Neil W" wrote in message news:407ebc96$1_2@newsprd01... > I am not knowledgeable about Autodesk's strategy for CAICE, but I suspect > that CAICE was purchased so that Autodesk could offer it to customers who > wanted it while at the same time eliminating a competitor, or to gain legal > rights to some of it's code. Perhaps some of that code is being incorporated > in Civil 3D, but I would be surprised if CAICE ends up as some sort of > appendage to Civil3D. > > "Todd W" wrote in message > news:407eb12b$1_2@newsprd01... > > We bought Caice a few months ago and have been waiting for our training > > schedule for it. So we called our reseller and they said Caice & Civil 3d > > software programs are merging, so they are to wait until the new software > is > > released. I thought that Civil 3d was going to stay a part of our > LDD/Civil > > vip package. And if that is the case what did we dump 20 grand into our 1 > > Caice seat for? Is this true? Did we take 1 in the shorts? Anybody have > > any info on this? > > > > Thanks, > > Todd > > > > > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Keith, If that IS true, and it IS true that future C3D in no way resembles CAiCE, it sure seems like CAiCE was bought out with the sole intention of killing the future competition. I would expect to see some future anti-trust inquiries into the buy-out transaction. I guess the same could have been said of the AutoDesk buy-out of SoftDesk - the S8 Arch stuff wasn't around to compete with ADT. Maybe it was really for legal reasons that the S8 Civil/Survey stuff morphed into LDD, instead of an AutoDesk C3D at the same time as ADT. Then the buy-out of REVIT and now the whole REVIT / ADT confusion. Probably won't know the truth about for CAiCE for years to come, at which time it will be too late to do anything... Sure gives the appearance of monopolistic maneuvers however. sc "Keith Biggs" wrote in message news:407ee632$1_3@newsprd01... > It's true, from what I have been told. I attended a local users group for > CAiCE where there were Autodesk staff in attendance. We were informed that > Civil 3D is to replace CAiCE and LDD, but not for about 2 years. For now, > they will continue to offer upgrades to both products. Whether users switch > from CAiCE to Civil 3D will be dependant upon Civil 3D's capabilities > (Autodesk opinion) > > I have been using CAiCE for preliminary road design, with great success. > From what I have seen about Civil 3D using the beta version, the concept is > good, but it requires a different mind set. >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Hi, To all experienced and knowledgeable CAiCE users, I don't believe CAiCE and Civil 3D will just "merge" - think of the mentioned "different mind set". I believe that your hands-on knowledge and the real-life experience with the software is probably one of the great assets of this newsgroup and beyond. I believe that realistically, users of CAiCE are moving to a family of software users that cover and integrate accross a wider area of the AEC industry. There is an opportunity to become an active part of the total project data exchange pool where Civil Engineers collaborate with Land Planners, Architects, Environmental Engineers, Maintenance Engineers etc. This integration has a potential to be at a much higher level than just delivering drawing (files) to the construction crew. The Civil Engineering becomes integral part of the whole project and elevates from the sort of "contracting" role where it receives the boundary conditions, defines the civil objects and delivers the results in the form of construction drawings that are kept in the "vault" until it's time for a modification or construction. Knowing that the herein mentioned transaction has occured and is now part of the corporate history, could it be that we can recognise the mutual benefit of compiling a list of top level and most desired functionality features of CAiCE? Perahps we can even go a step further and through the public appraisal of those features through this newsgroup we can greatly increase the chances for some of those features to make it to one of the early releases of Civi 3D. Wouldn't that be good for both existing CAiCE and new (and we all are new) Civil 3D users? Just a thought... Cheers Rad Lazic "Steve Cannon" wrote in message news:407ef659$1_3@newsprd01... > Hi Keith, > > If that IS true, and it IS true that future C3D in no way resembles CAiCE, > it sure seems like CAiCE was bought out with the sole intention of killing > the future competition. I would expect to see some future anti-trust > inquiries into the buy-out transaction. I guess the same could have been > said of the AutoDesk buy-out of SoftDesk - the S8 Arch stuff wasn't around > to compete with ADT. Maybe it was really for legal reasons that the S8 > Civil/Survey stuff morphed into LDD, instead of an AutoDesk C3D at the same > time as ADT. Then the buy-out of REVIT and now the whole REVIT / ADT > confusion. Probably won't know the truth about for CAiCE for years to come, > at which time it will be too late to do anything... Sure gives the > appearance of monopolistic maneuvers however. > > sc > > > "Keith Biggs" wrote in message > news:407ee632$1_3@newsprd01... > > It's true, from what I have been told. I attended a local users group for > > CAiCE where there were Autodesk staff in attendance. We were informed that > > Civil 3D is to replace CAiCE and LDD, but not for about 2 years. For now, > > they will continue to offer upgrades to both products. Whether users > switch > > from CAiCE to Civil 3D will be dependant upon Civil 3D's capabilities > > (Autodesk opinion) > > > > I have been using CAiCE for preliminary road design, with great success. > > From what I have seen about Civil 3D using the beta version, the concept > is > > good, but it requires a different mind set. > > > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

You should show up more often, Rad. Your insight and comment are very welcome! You coming to AU again this year? -- James Wedding, P.E. IT Manager Jones & Boyd, Inc. Dallas, TX XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 LDT2004+C3D
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

In my simple mind, the writing's on the wall! Look at CAiCE's fragment technology alone; look at the need for roadway grading in Civil3D... CAiCE needed to become more of a drafting tool, Land Desktop needed some depth - isn't it a perfect fit? Will it be a simple drag and drop from one software to the next - good God no; how could it be??? Where did the CAiCE development team go - you know the answer! Yup... give it some time and we'll all be using the Mother of all land development tools, and I know I can speak for James as well when I say I'm definitely fired up about it! sm -- scott mceachron total cad systems - dallas "James Wedding" wrote in message news:407fcf24$1_3@newsprd01... > You should show up more often, Rad. Your insight and comment are very > welcome! > > You coming to AU again this year? > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 > LDT2004+C3D > >
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hey James, I hope to be there again - I'd love to! Regs Rad P.S. No luck with the computing gear - no one I asked knows about it around here. "James Wedding" wrote in message news:407fcf24$1_3@newsprd01... > You should show up more often, Rad. Your insight and comment are very > welcome! > > You coming to AU again this year? > > -- > James Wedding, P.E. > IT Manager > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > Dallas, TX > XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 > LDT2004+C3D > > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 16/04/2004
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

All, The fact is that CAiCE will be maintained and supported as numerous DOTs/MOTs have standardized on it for the survey and road design operations. CAiCE training courses are being scheduled with customers who need it as usual and has no bearing on when Civil 3D will be released. Regularly service patches with bug fixes will be issued twice a year to address problems/issues that are being reported to ensure that existing CAiCE customers have a viable survey and road design system to work with while Civil 3D develops and matures. Major enhancements,however, are not planned for CAiCE going forward as all efforts are focused on Civil 3D and making that product the best civil engineering/transportation solution for our users. CAiCE users will still have the ability to engage the Autodesk Consulting division to incorporate enhancements via the VBA interface CAiCE leverages so well.We feel that CAiCE is already a very mature and stable system, which allows us to move into a maintenance mode while we complete Autodesk's next generation civil enginering solution with Civil 3D. The goal is not to merge the two systems but to take the take the best of CAiCE and incoprorate it into the great new technology being introduced by Civil 3D. Mathews Mathai Product Manager - CAiCE "Rad Lazic" wrote in message news:4081c844_3@newsprd01... > Hey James, > > I hope to be there again - I'd love to! > > Regs > > Rad > > P.S. No luck with the computing gear - no one I asked knows about it around > here. > > "James Wedding" wrote in message > news:407fcf24$1_3@newsprd01... > > You should show up more often, Rad. Your insight and comment are very > > welcome! > > > > You coming to AU again this year? > > > > -- > > James Wedding, P.E. > > IT Manager > > Jones & Boyd, Inc. > > Dallas, TX > > XP/1 on P4-1.6/512 > > LDT2004+C3D > > > > > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 16/04/2004 > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report