Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possiblt to make a daylight bench right before OG?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1234 Views, 6 Replies

Is it possiblt to make a daylight bench right before OG?

Is it possible to make a bench right before the daylight line meets the top surface (Original Ground)?

The Road prism is a tylical shape that has a u-shaped ditch on one side.  The daylight line from the outside edge of the ditch follows a series of comlicated benches at set elevations and then terminates at OG with no trouble but I'm trying to get an additional bench to be generated before OG (see attached + yellow lines). 

Anyone have any idea how to add this extera bench?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

It should be possible.  Try this:

• At the end of the last bench - (green dot) attach a MarkedPoint, then a LinkSlopeToSurface to establish the location of the initial daylight point (orange dot).  Turn on the Omit link option for this sub.
  • Add a LinkOffsetAndSlope to move from the orange dot back down and inward to the blue dot.  This sub should also have the Omit Link option turned on.
  • At the blue dot location add a LinkToMarkedPoint to create the link from blue to green.  The final bench and daylight links are up to you.

typical section-edited.jpg

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

Great! thanks for the reply.

Only thing is that it doesn't quite work the way i have it set up.  I'm sure i have it set up wrong but I thought I'd run it past you since it looks like you have it already working.

1.) So from the end of the last bench (green dot from your picture) I've added a 'MarkedPoint'.

Marked Points Properties - Point Name = BL

2.) From the 'MarkedPoint' I added a 'LinkSlopeToSurface' with a slope of 63 Degrees. Coded as P2 with the Omit Link set to No.

3.) From the 'LinkSlopeToSurface' I added a 'LinkOffsetAndSlope' subassembly with paramiters:

Offset from Base line 1.5m

Slope Direction: Towards Crown

Slope: 63 Degrees

Point Codes: BL

Omit Link: No

This allowed the Orange dot to move in the right direction i think, at least visually.

4.) From the 'LinkOffsetAndSlope' i added a 'LinkToMarkedPoint'

Marked Point Name: BL

5.) then i added a 'LinkWidthAndSlope' with a 'LinkSlopeToSurface' to create the last bench.  Only I'm sure I made a mistake because it doesn't work.

Do the subassembly properties make sence to you or should they be something else maybe?  The LinkOffsetAndSlope adds a slope line 50 away?!  so it's giving wierd results.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 7
sboon

From the description is sounds like you have added the links in Step 5 to the LinkToMarkedPoint from Step 4, instead of the end of the link from Step 3.  It may help at this point to delete the LinkToMarkedPoint until you have the rest of the assembly working then add it back in later.

Keep in mind that it's important when adding subs to make sure of which one you're attaching to.  Sometimes when there is already another sub attached to an endpoint it is necessary to use draworder to make sure that you're hooking to the end of the previous link.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: sboon

either the first slope to surface doesn't work when it's set to omit link.  or the link to offset tries to connect to the assembly 15m away..... i guess that means that it itsn't connected yet.... I'll keep messing with it bit any other suggestions in the mean time?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

nevermind XD i got it working.  I basically had to leave teh MarkedPoint and LinkToMarkedPoint off of the assembly until i had the rest of it built.  Once that was done and i had a cross section taken though the corridor, I could see visually that it was going to work.  The big thing the program was having trouble with was adding the ancor locations ontop of subassemblies like MarkedPoint and LinkToMarkedPoint.

Thanks for all your help.  I'm glad i can finally start taking a step forward.

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
bking02

I am having a terrible time with daylighting a bench scenario to a rock surface, then applying a simple daylight link at a different slope (in soil) to daylight to the top surface.  See pic.  This is what the corridor keeps modeling. What am I doing wrong? So frustrated with Civil 3d.  The assembly is attached here as well.

Thanks,

Brad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report