Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to use an expression in a data band label for a pipe network?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ruipfbarreiros
3343 Views, 7 Replies

Is it possible to use an expression in a data band label for a pipe network?

Hi,

Am I limited to the fields that appear on the label for a pipe network data band, or can I add my own customized expressions?

Thanks

---------------------------------------

Using Building Design Suite 2019
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You can add expressions under pipes and structures and target these in the data bands so long as they are specific to Pipes or structures accordingly, you can not cross contaminate.

That is in expressions you cannot yet target a particular pipes invert from within a structures expression.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 8

Unfortunately I don't think u can...

I can create an expression for a label of a pipe or structure, but I can't use that expression in a data band...or am I doing something wrong?

Message 4 of 8

Oops I'm wrong.. You cant as there are no expressions in the band settings..

However, for the hardened customiser there may be a workaround depending on what you want to do..

You can edit the part and the catalog files to add a custom context, add the expression you want into the part data through either the part builder interface or the parts xml file. You would need to add this to all network parts to get it for everything but it would then be targetable from the data band.

What's the expression you want to do / what are you tyrying to achieve?

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the reply!

I wanted to show the pipe invert depth...

I know I could use the structure labels instead, by choosing the "sump elevation" property. The problem with that is that I wanted to show the pipe invert depth on the left and right side of a structure, in case they are different...

Any solution?

Message 6 of 8
ralstogj
in reply to: ruipfbarreiros

This has been and issue with civil3d pipes since they were first introduced we have asked a number if times for it yo be fixed. One work around is to hang you pipe labels with expressions into the band if you look on the downloads section there is au paper I did in new Zealand that shows you how. Issues with this method is that the pipe looks at the ground profile for the lid level again pipe expressions do not see structures. Others I know have custom code that draws a invert line and structure lid profile and they calc the valves from this
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 8
ruipfbarreiros
in reply to: ralstogj

wow thanks...
that's a way better workaround than to create a dummy profile...

thanks a lot

Message 8 of 8
ntuthukoh
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

How do you target those in the data bands? Please could you provide a step-by-step explanation because I've been unable to do so for the longest time.

Thank you

Ntuthuko

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report