Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to display vertical pipes in profile view?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Stuart_Telford
444 Views, 3 Replies

Is it possible to display vertical pipes in profile view?

Hey everyone,

How I have come to this question is through the process of trying to realistically show a hydrant in profile view. First off it it possible to create a completely vertical pipe in C3D? Also if you can, is it possible to show that in profile view? Basically, what I am trying to avoid is representing a fire hydrant pipe by creating some sort of custom cyclinder part in partbuilder. I have done this, but do not like the results...any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Stuart Telford
Civil 3D 2014 SP1 | Win 7 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.30GHz, 8GB Ram | ATI Radeon HD 5450
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Which Version of Civil 3d do you use?

Message 3 of 4

Not sure about the vertical pipes but the way we work around the hydrant display in Profile is to use a manhole with the correct diameter to represent the pipe (no sump and floor thickness of 0.001). We then use a label to insert a hydrant block at the top of the manhole. 

There may be an option in pressure pipes that will allow you to do this but I haven't had any experience with it. 

Ed McGriskin, P.Eng.
Project Engineer @ HUSSON
Remember to accept the solution so others can find the solution also.
Message 4 of 4
troma
in reply to: Ed.McGriskin

For regular pipes, the diameter of the pipe is used to set the vertical distance between the top and bottom of the pipe in profile view. The top is not a perpendicular offset from the bottom, but a vertical copy. This is so the vertical exaggeration of the view can be taken into account.
With that in mind, I think it's clear that a pipe cannot be drawn vertically. Even if you used a huge diameter of pipe, and drew it at a terrifically steep slope (as close to vertical as you could get), the pipe would look like one single line in profile, since the top and bottom of it would be drawn right on top of each other.

I have no experience with pressure pipes either, but I suspect they are drawn the same way.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report