Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create a profile or section using a network surface?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
359 Views, 7 Replies

Is it possible to create a profile or section using a network surface?

Pertaining to the question..

I have in front of me a survey of a small section of road (it's only 10m x10m or something). I want to be able to create a profile along the road section to demonstrate the surface level changes. I have created a network surface but Civ3D doesn't seem to able to use this type of surface to create a profile. Is there anything I can do, perhaps a way of transforming the network surface into another type of surface? Or am I going to have to manually create this profile in ACAD!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
graf_p
in reply to: Anonymous

Forgive my ignorace, but what is a network surface?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: graf_p

"A network surface can be created between a network of curves or between the edges of other 3D surfaces or solids"

Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup

No. That's not a Civil 3D object. You might be able to do something like this in reverse:

Convert a Civil 3D Tin Surface to AutoCAD Solid

If you can explode a copy of the network surface to get basic autocad entities like lines, Plines or 3D faces. You can create a Civil 3D Surface from them and do your profile and sections.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
neilyj666

This post illustrates the confusion by having surfaces in AutoCAD and Civil 3D but which are two totally different incompatible objects

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen, Thanks.

Unfortunately my surface is made up of SPLINEs which I don't think I can use in Civil to create a surface. 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:

This post illustrates the confusion by having surfaces in AutoCAD and Civil 3D but which are two totally different incompatible objects

Agreed! I'm just beginning to realise that I should leave Civil 3D well alone until I find the time to go on a course! With either AutoCAD package Sectioning/Profiling ought to be really simple, but appears instead to be excessively complicated.

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

Yes. Training is a top priority and you probably shouldn't try to use Civil 3D for production until them. However doing profiles and cross sections isn't that hard once you have a Civil 3D surface. That means you should create the surface with Civil 3D tools not AutoCAD tools.

You can draw a polyline that represents your alignment, create an Alignment from that. Then just tell the program what Alignment and Surface to use to create the Profile and Cross Sections. The real power is that they are all dynamic. If you change the Alignment of Surface the Profile and Sections will update automatically.

The HARD part is setting up styles for the Surface, Alignment, Profile and Sections so that they look like you want them to when they're created.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report