Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection tool with widening

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sjg
Advisor
567 Views, 2 Replies

Intersection tool with widening

Having issue with the intersection tool for a road widening with turn lane with new roadway intersection. Not repaving entire existing roadway, sawcutting 2' into lane then paving new turn lane. Do most people use intersection tool for road widening, or is it strictly used for new roadways.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
owenmull
in reply to: sjg

sjg wrote:
Having issue with the intersection tool for a road widening with turn lane with new roadway intersection. Not repaving entire existing roadway, sawcutting 2' into lane then paving new turn lane. Do most people use intersection tool for road widening, or is it strictly used for new roadways.

I don't use it at all, as it is too overly simplified. If you have a generic, cookie cutter intersection with no valley pans, gentle grades, and no special features, the intersection tool works fine. 

If you have intersecting roads of different widths, valley pans, steeper grades, special sidewalk treatments, or anything else of that nature, the intersection tool works terribly. Awful, in fact. It depends on what you are wanting to do, but I suspect that handling a turning lane is out of the scope of the intersection tool, no matter what Autodesk says.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
Advisor
in reply to: sjg

After messing with it, the amount of time I wasted trying to get it to work wasn't worth the effort. Got what I wanted by creating alignments and profiles then created the corridor.
Steve Goessling
Land Consultants
Civil3D 2015
Windows 7, 64 bit
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
16 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro 600

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report