Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection Target Problems

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ball5169
1083 Views, 5 Replies

Intersection Target Problems

Ok, I have a simple corridor with a primary road and several intersecting secondary roads.  The primary road has the crown maintained.  I am using left & right gutter (flowline) alignments to control the roadway width of the primary road.  I do have design profiles for these left & right gutter alignments which I am attempting to use as elevation targets in my intersection design.  The problem I am having is when I use these left & right gutter alignments for width & elevation targets for my curb returns…..the corridor is not modeling correctly along the gutter line through these intersections.  Instead of being a constant grade through the intersection, it triangulates in a vertical zig zag fashion.  Any help would be appreciated.

C3D 2014

C3D 2014
Intel Xeon 3.7 GHz
16 GB Ram
Win 7-64 bit
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: ball5169

Are you sure you have only TOP surface links added to the surface? Any chance you have vertical faces in the surface? Did you turn on overhang correction when creating the corridor surface?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

I would triple check the targeting of the returns, and the side road pgl equalities at the edge of the main road. Personally, when I do those, I model the main road, estract the eop FL, make separate corridor for the side roads targeting the eop fl, etc. Then paste the surfaces together

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Bill_Myron

I have run into this problem as well.

I have found it better to sperate your curb return corridor into 2 regions targeting the approprite road widths and elevations than have 1 region with mutiple targets. I beleive it makes for a cleaner drawing as well.

I have also found that the surface triangulation tends to mess this up too. Have a look and maybe swap a few lines around.

Message 5 of 6
LeafRiders

I agree with Joe. I've always created a corridor for the main alignment, created a dynamic feature line to that main corridor feature. Then target to that featureline from the curbs (those are set as you've noted with alignments and design profiles). If you have profile set for your targets on the main alignment where you have jagged faces that is likely the reason for what you're seeing. Just use the featureline as the target and this should blend this nicely. You'll also want to set a frequency point at the middle point where one CL meets the target FL of the main alignment. to have that triangluate properly. Good Luck.

Message 6 of 6

I had the same problem so I checked the FG profile for the curb return alignment, built on the corridor's TOP surface( not the EG surface), and it wasn't connecting the separate regions of the primary and the secondary top surfaces profiles. I created another FG profile on top of the surface top profile for the curb return and the triangulation issue was solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report