Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intersection subassembly surface in cross section HELP

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
vcoleman
1240 Views, 6 Replies

intersection subassembly surface in cross section HELP

Created intersection added that to existing corridor. Then went to cross section sheets and the cut , fill and strip show up but no subassembly surfaces show for the intersection See attached pdf

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
SethHall
in reply to: vcoleman

Hi vcoleman-

When you say "subassembly surfaces" are your referring to the subassembly shapes? If so these will only show in section view for the alignment the sample lines were created for. The sample lines should still be able to pull the surface information, but the shapes are "tied" to the alignment.

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 7
vcoleman
in reply to: SethHall

I used Eagle Point for 28 years ak EDS, so I am still stuck on their terminalogy. Sorry.   My question is what is the sole purpose of Civil 3d intersection if you can't get accurate cross sections (samples lines) to show up in Sections Views when you have set the intersection area to add to an existing corridor.   In order for me to get correct volumns for my materials and no over laps at the intersection what would you suggest.  This our first job using C3d and I am still in eagle point mode.  I  thought the intersection would produce results. So if you could explain how I can get volumns (from my material list) in the corridors for Taxiway "S" and Taxlane "2"  I  would appreciate the steps.    Please see attached pdf 

thanks

Message 4 of 7
mathewkol

If you create Top and Datum surfaces for the corridor, you will be able to see the top and bottom of any corridor in any section.

This situation is a little tricky sometimes.  There are 2 kinds of volumes and I suppose you're going to want to calculate them both.

• Earthworks
  • Corridor structures (asphalt, base material etc)

For earthworks, you need surfaces and surfaces show up in sections, so there is no problem here.  It looks like you're attempting average end area volumes.  This is fine, but you'll get more accurate results if you create a TIN Volume surface instead.

Where you run into trouble is calculating corridor structures.  Those DON'T show up all the time as you're seeing.  Go to the wish list group and make a wish for this.  Basically, you'll need a sample line group for each baseline in your intersection corridor.  You need to calculate quantities separately for each baseline.  Awkward, but doable.

An alternative is to create a surface for each layer within your road structure and calculate the quantities that way; possibly a better idea than a sample line group for each baseline.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 7
vcoleman
in reply to: mathewkol

Thank you for your reply.  We have always done average end areas.  I will make a wish list, since we have been racking our brains for (2) weeks to get the intersection to work.  When our job goes out to bid we give the contractors with a set of plans a set of cross sections that have volumns (pavement and and earthwork at each station).  At this point the intersection only will give us radius to show in Plan View and Profile will have the correct grade.   To tell you the truth I wish I was still using Eagle Point.  But that is not an option any more.

Thanks anyway for your help

Message 6 of 7
nalthapa
in reply to: mathewkol

oohh boy this is sad.... I am new to civil3d and i came across the same problem today.. i was hoping for some solution but things turned out to be pretty disappointing. Sir can u please assist me to volume calculations of pavement materials....

Message 7 of 7
kasias23

i'm first time user of eagle poin and finaly when i am extracting cross-section from final out put after some points its says The geometry of the cross-section will not fit on the cross-sectin sheet.please check the horizontal and vertical scales,cross-section spacing ,top margin and offset area height sheet setting .what is the solution for this type of problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report