Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intersection of 2 Corridors on Curve

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JM54911
1374 Views, 5 Replies

Intersection of 2 Corridors on Curve

I have a mainline corridor which is intersecting with a side road corridor that is curving towards the mainline. After the PT of the curve, the two alignments are parallel and I am using an offset assembly here for the sections. I'm a fairly new user and was hoping someone could help out on the best way to handle the area where the two corridors are coming together. As far as I've been able to tell, I cannot use an offset assembly through the curve. There will be a ditch between the two that needs to be shown someway or another. I've attached a screen shot that hopefully helps explain. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: JM54911

Kudos for owning SincPac.

Are you using the curb return as a baseline within the corridor? Are you trying to continue the end of the merging lane into the through lane? Do you know about multiple baselines within a corridor? If not, you should study up on the manual techniques of intersecting alignments within a single corridor.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
fcernst

I suggest not focusing on trying to do intersections manually, that's too slow.

I suggest you putting your time and resources in learning how to use the Intersection Wizard. It sets up all of your intersection Baselines automatically for you.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 4 of 6
sboon

If you have access to the Autodesk University class materials then you can search for a session called CI2160 - Intersections from the Inside Out.  I taught this session back in 2012.  Part of it included a workflow for ramps and interchanges, similar to what is shown in your screenshot.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 6
wfberry

I don't have much to add except in the future try to use a different file format.  These BMP files are real hogs in regards to their file size, i.e., a png file is just a little over 300 KB compared to 3,934 KB for this BMP.

It just makes opening quicker and also takes up less space.

Thanks,

Bill

Message 6 of 6
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

I watched part of this video and have the following comments:

1. You stated you used the Wizard to get started with, to get your various multiple intersections set up, however you quickly diverged from it into using manual methods. I wish you would have contnued to use it, and done your lane transitionings, curb returns, etc. with the Wizard.

2. To get a low point for drainage on your curb return the user doesn't need to go through that long elaborate Superelevation workaround. The User can simply design low and high points using the Curb Return profile created by the Wizard.

3. You could have used the Wizard for the lower intersection with the tapering road crown that you wanted to preserve, by using Maintain Primary Road Crown. You then taunted the audience saying "try that with the Wizard".

*This is kind of a sore spot for me because my Reseller offered training with the purchase of Civil 3D. In the class they said the Interesection Wizard was just a marketing gimmick form Autodesk, then proceeded to show us how to do intersections manually with grading objects, the long, long hard way. This just didn't ring true for me for some reason, I started to get the feeling the guy just probably didn't understand how to use it. So I invested my own time learning how to use the Wizard. I found that it is definitely not a marketing gimmick.

4. I was surprised to see the superelevation rate (over 7.5%) of the Primary Road in your intersection. Was this ever built? You guys have to account for ice there in BC logging territory, or no? Vehicles slowing down to make intersection maneuvers would slide sideways in ice conditions. Throw in logging trucks to that mix and this intersection looks like a death trap.

If the curve geomterics were constrained at this location, I would have lowered the speed on either side of this intersection so that excessive superelevation rate would not be required to avoid this dangerous situation.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report