Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpolate points from existing surface

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
marywinkley1386
566 Views, 5 Replies

Interpolate points from existing surface

I have random points along a water's edge as calc'd at various sections along an alignment. These points coincide with an existing surface. What I'd like to do is to extrapolate/interpolate, from the surface, a 3d polyline that will follow the surface elevations between those points.

Thanks,
Mary
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgordon
in reply to: marywinkley1386

draw a 2d polyline from point to point and then convert the polyline into a feature line. then sample featureline from existing surface.
then explode it back to a 3d polyline.

Dan
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that I need the new pline to follow the downward slope of the surface. It will meander across contour lines to reach the next point. Essentially, I'm trying to follow a flood event line, and all I have is a handful of points with elevations along the sampled sections. If I draw a straight line between points, it tends to cross the river. All of the flood inundation data was created with HEC-RAS, so I was hoping to just use C3D to quickly generate the various flood event lines from these points rather than re-calc.
Message 4 of 6
bberry

I might be not understanding. But my immediate first hunch is that you need to create a feature line. Draw a pline that represents this feature that you're trying to super impose onto a surface. Create feature line from object and within that dialog that pops up are options, pick "Assign Elevations" and "From Surface". Just pick the surface and say ok. Explode the feature line and you have a 3d polyline I believe.
Just ignore me if this isn't what you're wanting. 🙂
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

There's an import tool for HEC-RAS export data that will bring in the
river profile data if you can get it from the analysis folks. It comes
in as a profile, which you can then use to drive a corridor or a feature
line and daylight appropriately along the surface from the river CL.

HTH
JW
Message 6 of 6

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report