Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Situation and Question

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
175 Views, 1 Reply

Interesting Situation and Question

Let me give a little background of my situation and then ask the question.

About a year ago I was working on a preliminary plan for a big project using C3D 2006 SP2 and was utilizing the project management tools for that, not shortcuts. I got lucky and we upgraded to c3d 2007 after the preliminary plan but before the final plan. At this point we switched to using shortcuts because we were not and still are not using vault.

When I started working on the final plan (in c3d 07) I continued using the same drawings from 06. My drawings are a little bit laggy and even more so when opening up/saving/printing/switching between layouts.

Could the lag be related to the project management tools in c3d 2006? The project management files are still on the server. Can anyone think of a negative to deleting the files? I don't think the files are doing anything but I don't know for sure...by the way, the files i am referring to are the .xml files that are created under the C3D/Proj/Project name/(Alignments Drawings Point Groups Profiles Surfaces). This is the file structure we used for 2006.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Brandon
Civil 3D 2007
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
matthew.risch
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Brandon,

2007 doesn't use data shortcuts in a project environment the same way 2006 did, but those .xml files that were created under your C3D/Proj/Project name/(Alignments Drawings Point Groups Profiles Surfaces) are still data shortcuts nontheless. Don't delete them. Check to see if they are still being used.

As for the "lag", there are so many variables to consider.
Are your pc specs within recommended tolerances?
Is this the only set of drawings that you have a performance issue with?
Variable settings i.e. LAYOUTREGENCTL.
Are you pulling the .xml files over a LAN or a WAN?
Is there anything in the drawings that can be cleaned up?
I could go on and on...
You'll need to dig into the drawings, figure out how they're put together, and go from there.

--
Matthew R
Civil 3D 2008 SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report