AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
bigmaz
Message 1 of 3 (386 Views)

Integrating structures into Civil 3D

386 Views, 2 Replies
11-16-2011 02:12 AM

Hi guys

I am creating a drainange drawing with Civil 3D.  first of all, I was wondering about headwalls.  I have a few winged headwalls I need to integrate into my pipe network.  Reading about, it says that Civil 3D 2012 has winged headwalls as part of the structures library in the pipe network section, but I cannot find them, only rectangular headwalls.  I also have a custom size headwall we have designed, how would I put that in, would I just model it up as a 3D solid in autoCAD, and then how would I paste it into my final surface model?  Also, We have basins at the end of our drainage ditches, which is basically a square basin made up of gabion baskets, again, will I create it as a 3D solid in autocad?  Hope this all makes sense :smileytongue:

Martin

*Pro
dgordon
Message 2 of 3 (376 Views)

Re: Integrating structures into Civil 3D

11-16-2011 05:38 AM in reply to: bigmaz

if all you need to see is contours draw correctly to show a 2d top down view, then 3d solids are not necessary and a waste of time.

a couple break lines strategically placed is all you need to get the job done with a winged headwall.   it's similar to constructing a retaining wall with two break lines.   One for ground at  top of wall and one for ground at bottom of wall.

the contours don't care if a retaining wall is above the ground by a foot or 10 feet.

gabion baskets are below ground, so only the top of them needs to be modeled for surface contours.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Distinguished Contributor
bigmaz
Message 3 of 3 (372 Views)

Re: Integrating structures into Civil 3D

11-16-2011 05:57 AM in reply to: dgordon

Great, thanks for your help :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.