Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting tiffs with world file

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
toconnor
5913 Views, 13 Replies

Inserting tiffs with world file

I am trying to insert a tif that has a world file. I have AutoCAD Civil 3D 2013.  I changed my workplace to Planning and Analysis. I clicked on the Image ican. I found the tif file I wanted (the tfw is in the same directory), I clicked open. It does not give me the option to select the tfw from the correlation source dropdown.  Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
antoniovinci
in reply to: toconnor

The right command is _MAPIINSERT, sir.

Message 3 of 14
toconnor
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thank you, but that does the same thing as clicking on the icon. I still do not have the option of selecting the tfw in the correlation source dropdown.

Message 4 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

If the world file is in the same directory as the tiff file, then it will read it automatically and you will not have to select the file from the correlation drop down.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 14
toconnor
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

None of the coordinates are showing up, all I get are zeros.

Message 6 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Can you attach the tiff and world file?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 14
toconnor
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I can select the tif, but it is not giving me the option to select anything else.  However, I am now thinking it may be in the creation of the tfw.  I was able to find old TIFs and TFWs that seem to work just fine.  Thank you for help in this.

Message 8 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Could be a bad world file.  If you can zip them up and attach them here, I can check them and maybe get it fixed.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 9 of 14
antoniovinci

toconnor wrote:

None of the coordinates are showing up, all I get are zeros.

I'd bet that file is a true Geotiff with damaged header, so Autocad ignores the .TFW presence just because the (bad) georeference is already embedded in the loaded image.

Would you share with us your new .TIF file..?

Message 10 of 14
annw2

I also use the MAPIINSERT command every few months.

This week, I had two options, a newer TIFF or two older JPEGS.

The TIFF file had units of meters and came up in a different location than the lidar point data.

The JPEGS came in with units of feet and matched up.

I remember a few months ago I had other problems with a TIFF.

I thought the TIFF's were supposed to geo-refernce with automatic coordinate conversion like the JPEG's or am I missing a step?

The drawing setting was set to NAD83-PANF.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 11 of 14
antoniovinci
in reply to: annw2

Feel free to upload everything here, madame, and we'll help you in a while.

Message 12 of 14
Neilw_05

The image will not transform if you use the mapinsert command. Thus if the world file coordinates are based on a coordinate system with meters for units, the image will be inserted, scaled and rotated to fit that CS in meters. Therefore if you are going to use the mapinsert workflow you must first insert the imagery into a file that has a coordinate system and units to match the world file, then attach that file to one that has your desired units and CS and query them in. The query process will transform the images.

If you want to your imagery to transform dynamically you should use a FDO connection rather than MapInsert.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 13 of 14
annw2
in reply to: Neilw_05

I don't recall seeing that information in the help function for MAPIINSERT.

Could you request it be added please.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 14 of 14
Murph_Map

@annw2 wrote:
I don't recall seeing that information in the help function for MAPIINSERT.

Could you request it be added please.

The Mapiinsert command is from years back when the only way to transform images were with the attach dwg and query method. The help file for it just gets copied from one version to the next to the next and so on, However Neil and I can try to request that the help file get updated. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report