Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting surface from Google Earth not showing in INSERT TAB

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jithukuttamath
771 Views, 8 Replies

Inserting surface from Google Earth not showing in INSERT TAB

cad 3d.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: jithukuttamath

Google Earth imports are not supported in C3D2013. Search back in the group to see many other posts regarding this.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: jithukuttamath

You could however try this

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/basejump

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: rl_jackson

rl_jackson wrote:

You could however try this

It doesn't matter, sir: the OP's looking for a way to import 3D terrain (vector) not imagery (raster).

Message 5 of 9
rl_jackson
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thought that was included in basejump as a replacement to the GE import, Im not currently using 13

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: rl_jackson

As far as I know, the quickest way is to load a Dem file (e.g. a free Aster or SRTM) then create a surface based on it.

Message 7 of 9

If you were to consider third party software, take a look at MapWorks Base, it will import GE surfaces and restore many other GE related functions, such as KML export, Image Import and more.

Message 8 of 9

As others have stated, this is no longer an option within C3D 2013. My personal thoughts on this (and I honestly haven't heard from anyone official) is that Google got tired of C3D users using their data without paying for it and decided the best way around that was to force Autodesk to remove that functionality.

If you are in the United States, HERE is an alternative method to using Google Earth (and honestly, even if I had Google Earth, I would probably still go this route).

It's not as quick as the Google Earth option but it's (in my opinion) better, and it's free, publicly available, do what you want with it, you payed for it as a tax payer, data.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: BrianHailey

BrianHailey wrote:
HERE is an alternative method

Already advised, Brian, exactly 3 posts ago (08-12-2012 05:55 PM), but... repetita iuvant, isn't it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report