Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting Scaled Quad Maps in C3D

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Pointdump
2489 Views, 8 Replies

Inserting Scaled Quad Maps in C3D

I want to learn how to overlay Static GPS Points onto Quad Maps that show Section and Township corners, like Sinc did in this video:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/videos/XformGridToLDP.aspx

I guess the first hurdle would be where to find free Quad Maps and in what format does C3D work with them best.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
doni49
in reply to: Pointdump

I can't tell you WHERE to get your maps but the attached should help you attach them once you've downloaded them. 

In the example, we're attaching a tif file.  But as long as your image has the appropriate georeference information, this method will work for you.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 9
Pointdump
in reply to: doni49

Don,

I couldn't open your doc file. I don't have Microsquish Office. Can you post it in PDF?

"...as long as your image has the appropriate georeference information..."

That will be another steer I'll have to wrestle to the ground.  SmileyWink.gif

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 4 of 9
doni49

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 9
doni49

@Pointdump wrote:

Don,

I couldn't open your doc file. I don't have Microsquish Office. Can you post it in PDF?

"...as long as your image has the appropriate georeference information..."

That will be another steer I'll have to wrestle to the ground.  SmileyWink.gif

Dave

I'll try and help you wrestle it to the ground.

Attached is a zip file that I downloaded today.  It's a portion of a USGS topo map.  When you open the zip file, you'll see a jpg file, a jgw file and a readme file.

The readme file isn't important for this process.  It just contains info from the provider to the user.

When you are attaching the image using the steps outlined, Map 3d will read the jgw file to find out WHERE it belongs.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 9
Pointdump

Thank you, Don. Looks easy as pie. I just read your excellent PDF and I'll download the ZIP file right now.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Message 7 of 9
doni49

@Pointdump wrote:

Thank you, Don. Looks easy as pie. I just read your excellent PDF and I'll download the ZIP file right now.

Dave

But I referred to it MANY times when I was trying to learn how to attach georeff'ed images.  So I can tell you with confidence that it'll help.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 9

One may download the Quad maps from this site: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 9 of 9
Pointdump

Don,

"...I referred to it MANY times when I was trying to learn how to attach georeff'ed images. So I can tell you with confidence that it'll help."

Your excellent PDF did indeed help. I had success today. Thanks for your help.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report