Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting points downloaded from a data collector

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tjboyer
275 Views, 5 Replies

Inserting points downloaded from a data collector

Hello Group,

I am new to C3D and attempting to insert a data file containing survey/topo points that have been downloaded from a data collector. The data file format is PNEZD (comma delimited); the coordinates and elevations in the data file are in decimal units. When I insert the points into the drawing all the coordinate and elevation data is 1/12 the original value (i.e. original elevation 1200.0000 in the data file comes into the drawing labeled as 100.00'. How can I insert points and have them maintain their original values? Thanks for any help!
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: tjboyer

Did your file have roots back to Architectural files? Almost mandatory that your original Civil 3D file begin in Civil 3d with a "by style" or "by layer" template (depending on your choice.). Insert linework, etc into this file. Bill "tjboyer" wrote in message news:23382316.1106756680321.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello Group, > > I am new to C3D and attempting to insert a data file containing survey/topo points that have been downloaded from a data collector. The data file format is PNEZD (comma delimited); the coordinates and elevations in the data file are in decimal units. When I insert the points into the drawing all the coordinate and elevation data is 1/12 the original value (i.e. original elevation 1200.0000 in the data file comes into the drawing labeled as 100.00'. How can I insert points and have them maintain their original values? Thanks for any help!
Message 3 of 6
tjboyer

The file I inserted the points into was a new, empty file that was created in C3D.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

have you gone into and edited the drawings settings for scale, precision etc? Richard "tjboyer" wrote in message news:23382316.1106756680321.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello Group, > > I am new to C3D and attempting to insert a data file containing survey/topo points that have been downloaded from a data collector. The data file format is PNEZD (comma delimited); the coordinates and elevations in the data file are in decimal units. When I insert the points into the drawing all the coordinate and elevation data is 1/12 the original value (i.e. original elevation 1200.0000 in the data file comes into the drawing labeled as 100.00'. How can I insert points and have them maintain their original values? Thanks for any help!
Message 5 of 6
ekubaskie

I had a similar thing happen copying and pasting surfaces from one C3D drawing to another. All the elevations came out scaled 1/12 in the target drawing. X,Y was all correct, but Z was blown. (Both drawings had units set to decimal feet)

I went to the User Preferences tab in Options, and in the deafult Drag&Drop Scale settings I set source and target both to feet, and the next copy/paste worked right.

It could be another facet of the same behavior (bug?), so give it a try and let us know.
Message 6 of 6
tjboyer

Thanks for the info, but that must not be the same problem I was having. I did however come across a setting that did fix the problem. In the setting tab of Toolspace I right clicked on the drawing name and selected "Edit Drawing Setting" under the "Units and Zones" tab I set units to feet, then inserted my points and everything looked correct. Thanks again for you input, have a good day!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report