Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert a Subassembly to a Tool Palette in 2009

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Cre8engr
836 Views, 10 Replies

Insert a Subassembly to a Tool Palette in 2009

How do I insert a custom subassembly into a tool palette I'm creating of typical assemblies and subassemblies for a large project in Civil 3D 2009? I remember reading about it on these news groups within the past year, but a search for "subassemblies", "tool palettes", etc. within this new newsgroup is giving me pig sludge.

I'm able to insert an assembly into my tool palette without any troubles in 2009, but I'm having extreme difficulty inserting several typical subassemblies. I remember in 2008 that dragging and dropping the subassembly onto the tool palette worked. I cannot get the darn thing to work in 2009. I'm hoping it's something as simple as forgetting to sacrifice the chicken.

Cre8engr
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Cre8engr

Right click in Tool Palette and select "import
subassembly"

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
How
do I insert a custom subassembly into a tool palette I'm creating of typical
assemblies and subassemblies for a large project in Civil 3D 2009? I remember
reading about it on these news groups within the past year, but a search for
"subassemblies", "tool palettes", etc. within this new newsgroup is giving me
pig sludge. I'm able to insert an assembly into my tool palette without any
troubles in 2009, but I'm having extreme difficulty inserting several typical
subassemblies. I remember in 2008 that dragging and dropping the subassembly
onto the tool palette worked. I cannot get the darn thing to work in 2009. I'm
hoping it's something as simple as forgetting to sacrifice the chicken.
Cre8engr
Message 3 of 11
c__h

Go under the General Menu -> Catalog

Then, find the subassembly you want to add to your palette.

Click and hold the EyeDropper icon, and drag over to your palette.

This is for adding a stock subassembly. For a custom one, its a little different.
Message 4 of 11
Cre8engr

Robert -- When I right click on the palette and select "Import Subassemblies", the program does absolutely nothing.

Choneyman -- These are custom subassemblies. I started with the Daylight General stock subassembly and set some of the cut and fill slope parameters to include the necessary clear zone required by the local jurisidiction. It took me about a day to determine the local jurisidiction's clear zone requirements, and I want to share the resulting subassembly with others working on the same project.

Cre8engr
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Find the sub in an existing tool palette right
click copy.  Paste into the other palette.

--
Matt Kolberg
Global CADD Systems

href="http://www.gcscorp.ca">www.gcscorp.ca
Message 6 of 11
c__h

So when you say "Custom" you mean you set up custom parameters for stock subassemblies, right?

If so, after you have added them to a palette as per above, r-click on the icon in the palette and click properties. Then you can set up the initial parameters to be used.

By the way, I can drag a subassemby that I have in a drawing into the tool palette and it works. Select if first, then click and drag, and hold it over the palette until you get a box with a plus, then release.

If you mean "Custom" as in you coded new subassemblies in VBA or VB.net, then look at the developer help as to how to import those.
Message 7 of 11
Cre8engr

Yes, when I say custom I do mean a stock assembly with custom parameters.

When I select the subassembly, then click and drag, and hold over my palette, I get a big black circle with a line through it. I don't get the little plus sign in the box that you're talking about. I'll try inserting it from the tool catalog next.
Message 8 of 11
Cre8engr

I can copy the subassembly from an existing tool palette and then paste it into my custom tool palette; however, I'm unable to get the custom parameters to stick. The program allows me to change the parameters as suggested in another post, but it reverts to the stock subassembly parameters when I try to insert the custom subassembly into my drawing. I'm going to try copying from the tool catalog next as suggested in a previous post.

Cre8engr
Message 9 of 11
Cre8engr

I found my problem as to why the custom parameters are not sticking. I need to create an assembly first and then insert the subassembly and attach it to the new assembly. When I try to create a detached subassembly with my custom parameters, Civil 3D keeps wanting to revert back to the stock parameters.

Now, I'm wondering why I cannot select the subassembly, click and drag, and release over the tool palette? I can insert assemblies onto my tool palette this way, but I can't do it with subassemblies.

Cre8engr
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Go to Corridors>Utilities>Import
subassemblies

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Robert
-- When I right click on the palette and select "Import Subassemblies", the
program does absolutely nothing. Choneyman -- These are custom subassemblies.
I started with the Daylight General stock subassembly and set some of the cut
and fill slope parameters to include the necessary clear zone required by the
local jurisidiction. It took me about a day to determine the local
jurisidiction's clear zone requirements, and I want to share the resulting
subassembly with others working on the same project.
Cre8engr
Message 11 of 11
Cre8engr

I was able to copy a subassembly into my drawing via the tool catalog and then able to modify the parameters to meet the specific project. Just like copying the subassembly from another tool palette. Also, just like copying another subassembly from another tool palette, I needed an assembly to attach the subassembly for my custom parameters to stick. I loose any custom parameters when I try if I try to insert a dettached subassembly.

I was unable to get the select, click, drag and drop from the drawing into the tool palette to work.

Everyone, thank you for your help.

Cre8engr

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report