Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ineffective Breakline

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Umit.Arslan
697 Views, 11 Replies

Ineffective Breakline

Hi everyone

Story is ;

- I have created a surface from 3d faces with "maintain edges from objects" option marked and made lots of editing and at the end created a data shortcut for that surface.

- I opened a new clear dwg file and promoted that surface into my drawing and first i tried to add a line which did not effect the surface, except start and end points of the line.Then i tried to add this line as a breakline into my surface and the result was the same.

- I am wondering if we create a surface with 3d faces or breaklines with "maintain edges from objects" option marked then we can not add anymore breaklines or lines passing these predefined edges?

Thanks 

Umit

- Umit Arslan -
Survey Engineer
Civil 3D 2018 x64
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
doni49
in reply to: Umit.Arslan

Each edge of the 3dface is being treated as a breakline.  C3D doesn't like when one breakline crosses another one.

Try moving the breaklines to the TOP of your surface definition.  This may or may not do what you're looking for.

SurfaceProperties.png

SurfaceDefinition.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 12
Umit.Arslan
in reply to: doni49

Thanks for your reply Don.But I can not see the 3D faces added in the definition tab.Because i have created this surface and used 3D faces, finished the adjustment of the surface, made a data shortcut, in another drawing.After that i promoted this surface to the recent drawng.

I think there is a secret database for every surface which is recording every move for that surface and which can not be deleted in any case.Also we can not see these records in the defination tab.

Thanks

Umit

- Umit Arslan -
Survey Engineer
Civil 3D 2018 x64
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 12
doni49

Try creating a NEW surface. Add your break lines to it THEN paste in your 3dfaces surface.

It may get you what you're looking for. Otherwise, all I can tell you is what I've already said: C3D doesn't like crossing break lines.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
Umit.Arslan

2014-06-04 14-45-47 Ekran görüntüsü.png

Thanks Don. I have found the solution of my problem.

- Umit Arslan -
Survey Engineer
Civil 3D 2018 x64
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 12
doni49

For the benefit of others who may be dealing with a similar issue, would you mind sharing your solution?

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 12
Umit.Arslan

The solution is shown in the picture in  my previous post.

- Umit Arslan -
Survey Engineer
Civil 3D 2018 x64
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
Message 8 of 12
doni49

@Umit.Arslan wrote:

The solution is shown in the picture in  my previous post.

Sorry.  Because I've subscribed to the thread, the system sent an email containing your post.  But the message didn't include any sign that there was an image attached.  All I saw was a statement from you that you had found the solution.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 12
doni49

BTW -- earlier you commented that you didn't see in the surface definition where the 3dfaces were added.  When you promoted your surface, you created a snapshot.  That snapshot is a picture of what the surface looked like at that time -- breaklines and all.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 12
Umit.Arslan

So is it possible to obtain this edited surface without any snapshot and without any history after all these corrections and adjustments? I mean like a reborn surface or like to make the surface to forget everything had before... 🙂

- Umit Arslan -
Survey Engineer
Civil 3D 2018 x64
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 12
doni49

If you're asking if you can get it to show all the individual edits that it showed orginally (before being referenced and promoted), then no I don't think so.  When you promoted the surface, it created a Snapshot of the surface.  When you create a snapshot, you tell C3D to take the surface as it stands -- breaklines, points etc that were active at snapshot time are included in the surface and they're included in the same order as they were in the original surface's definition tab.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 12
doni49

After I posted my last reply, I thought of one possibility.  If your goal is to get the surface from one drawing to another WITHOUT it being a Snapshot, then try copying the surface to your clipboard (select the contours or triangles and press Ctrl+C).  Then past it into the new dwg (press Ctrl+V).

You'd need to include any points & featurelines that are included in the surface definition.

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report