Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .TIN file

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
caddirt
5398 Views, 8 Replies

Importing .TIN file

Can anyone brief me on how to open a .tin? I tried to create a surface from a TIN as one way but it is looking for .pnt. as well.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: caddirt

If you're talking about the _IMPORTSURFACE command, it looks for a pair .TIN/.PNT created by Autocad Land Desktop: search better in your hard disk, sir.

Message 3 of 9
TerryDotson

It's probably a Bentley/GeoPak TIN and in a proprietary format designed to encourage you to buy their software.  It's truly sad that large developers can't collaborate and use documented data formats.

Message 4 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: TerryDotson

@TerryDotson wrote:

....It's truly sad that large developers can't collaborate and use documented data formats.

Terry, isn't that what LandXML is for?

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 9
TerryDotson
in reply to: tcorey

Having it and USING it (as in producing it by default) are two entirely different things.

Message 6 of 9
mike.barkasi

Terry..

Are you complaining about Autodesks Inability to interoperate with other software vendors such as Bentley Systems?

It may help if Autodesk start by creating compatible file types withing their own software.

Mike barkasi

Bentley Civil

PS Land XML has not had an update since 2008. I Could be mistaken but I understood this would not be developed further moving forward. This may be the case as new terrains and geometries by Bentley Systems (and autodesk Im guessing) contain information and rules the current XML format never anticipated.

Message 7 of 9
TerryDotson
in reply to: mike.barkasi

Are you complaining about Autodesks Inability to interoperate with other software vendors such as Bentley Systems?

I'm complaining about any company that produces binary data files that are undocumented.  That includes Autodesk, Bentley, Microsoft and more.  At least Microsoft has made a step in the right direction with XLSx, DOCx, etc.  The DATA files produced by an application are SUPPOSED to belong to the user for their use (including providing it to others), not as a sales tool for the application developer.

Land XML has not had an update since 2008. I Could be mistaken but I understood this would not be developed further moving forward.

That is sad because it did at least represent an export option.   But users don't work in export formats, they work in the native format of the application and many times won't co-operate on exports.

Message 8 of 9
fcernst
in reply to: TerryDotson

"Land XML has not had an update since 2008. I Could be mistaken but I understood this would not be developed further moving forward."

I guess "Game On" then. The Civl 3D leadership will need to step up the quality control to stay competitive.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 9 of 9
Hammer.john.j

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/PNT-files/td-p/3369663

Provide you some useful information instead of some sales pitch.

If you have an further information on where you acquired the tin file from that would be helpful.  It is possible that the pnt pair exists and the original reply stated, but it's also possible that some other software created the tin file, and yes, just because it has the correct file extension, doesn't mean it's the correct language for your software..... learned this the hard way years ago myself.

EDIT:  As the link suggests and without elaborating on whats stated, there are numerous ways to recreate the tin but it can be time consuming, a shift in liability, and because of the high probability of errors.... xml is the preferred method.

I will agree, that it is a shame that Companies refuse to go open source with CAD content and formats.  Open source is the way to go, then just let the user choose what software they want to use to manipulate the content.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report