Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing survey data in Metres

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dennochi
702 Views, 5 Replies

Importing survey data in Metres

The survey data (Northings, eastings, Elevations) i import were taken at intervals of 20m but on importing it to C3D it gives the intervals as 6m. i have tried setting my units to metres, the coordinates to my local grid and the problem won't just go. If you have a solution i will appreciate.Capture.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: dennochi

Civil 3d uses "International Foot" as the default Units for Survey Databases.

If you work in Metric, your going to want to create and save a Survey User Settings file (.usr_set)

Once the Units are set to Metric your points will come in correctly at the 20 meter grid interval.

1. Create a new Survey Database.

2. Rt. Click on Survey Database name > choose edit survey database settings > Units > Distance > Meters.

3. Export the Survey Settings to a file (which will be mapped to permanently set the default units to Meters) name the file Metric.usr_set.

4. Specify the path to the newly created Metric.usr_set in the "Survey User Settings dialog" under "Survey Database Defaults" > survey database settings path.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
dennochi

Thanks so much, worked like magic! Smiley Happy

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
jcorley
in reply to: Jay_B

I tried the same solution except for US Survey Foot ... no dice

When I exported the settings, I had to manually set the extension to .usr_set (US_Foot.usr_set)
Should that be an automatic function?

Message 5 of 6
dennochi
in reply to: jcorley

Hi Jcorley, there is a simpler way to ensure that your imported data units
are correct. here are the steps

1. Go to Toolspace >> Survey >> Survey Databases
2. Right click on the database you want to use
3. Go to Edit Survey database settings
4. Change all relevant units to your desired SI units
5. You are good to go!

Alternatively, change the settings while importing data.

Message 6 of 6
jcorley

Yes, I have to do that for each and every new drawing I open! I have INSUNITS set to <21> (US Survey Foot) in my template, yet every time I open a new Survey Database I have to RESET it.

I want Autocad to respond to every surveyor in the United States that is required BY LAW to use US Survey Feet with a setting that will force the use of US Survey Feet as a universal setting.  

Perhaps expecting a company to respond to it's clients is asking too much nowadays....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report