Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Styles and Settings from Ribbon

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
RCBmstg007
457 Views, 9 Replies

Importing Styles and Settings from Ribbon

I am having trouble getting this to work. I can usaully get all the styles import and overwrite correctly. The problem I have is the settings. I have a master dwg with most of the settings that are not stock. After I import into another clean drawing, only some of the settings are there.

Please see one of my workflows below:

If in Drawing 1 you change some of the Settings in the object Layers Tab. Save the file. Open a new drawings (Drawing 2). Save the drawing 2. Then MANAGE tab and select IMPORT. Select the Drawing 1. After import go look at the settings on the Object Layer Tab. Did you see anything change? I did not... It said it also imported 1100 settings. I do not see where those settings are and referring too.

The only other way that was explained to me is to insert all my drawings (with existing civil3d entities) into the master so i would have all the settings. however when I do that, I get a lot of errors and my surface names all show a (1).

Thanks for any help!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: RCBmstg007

You are absolutely correct, the Import Styles Tool does not bring all Settings along for the ride.

Pretty useful tool for bringing some styles into drawings but cannot be relied on for Feature Settings and Command Settings etc.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 10
RCBmstg007
in reply to: Jay_B

What would you recommend as an alternate solution possibly? I have an old drawing that i want to use the new custom settings in another file.

Message 4 of 10
Jay_B

My first recommendation would be to insert the file that's not set the way you like into a clean new dwt (if available) which has the settings etc. as desired.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 5 of 10
RCBmstg007

Here is the problem I am running into with this workflow.

If I have a surface base.dwg with spot shots all over it (and its using old styles), (the file is also data referenced out). I would just use the insert command and the information would be in there.

Lets say I have a pipe network base.dwg, with a drawing that contains profiles and proposed and old surfaces (that are data referenced in). I would use the insert command and be done.

I have tested it on the surface base. Everything works (2) audits later and I can not get the original name of the surface once i remove the (1) from the surface name. I did purge out the old block.

The pipe base, which has profiles with the surfaces. (4) audits later. Pipe network came in perfect. Surfaces names with (1). All the profiles are gone with alignments and pipes.

Message 6 of 10
Hidden_Brain

Can you please try this:
1. Import drawing settings from Drawing 1 into Drawing 2 as earlier. At this point, when you check the object layer settings in Drawing 2, you notice the settings did not migrate.

2. Now in the same C3D session, with both Drawings 1 and 2 open, right click and open the object layer settings of Drawing 1. you do not have to make any changes, hit Ok.

3. Now right click and open the object layer settings of Drawing 2. Did all the settings come through?

I think this may also work by just performing steps 2 and 3 (without importing settings first using MANAGE tool).
Message 7 of 10
Jay_B
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

I can confirm that does work. We use that trick here to set Object Layers for various Pipe Network types.
And yes for the Object layers it works without using the Import tool first.

Never checked to see if this will also copy Feature and Command Settings from dwg 1 to dwg 2.
Just might have to try that.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 8 of 10
RCBmstg007

I have tried the example with steps 1, 2, and 3. I am still not getting the information to mirgrate over to drawing 2. I could be misunderstanding a step as well. I have open in the same session of Civil3D, Drawing1 (Master) and Drawing2 (fresh dwg from dwt.) I have my ribbon open and I have my toolspace on Settings tab with the (Master View) selected from the top pull down. Before I import my (styles) I did save the file as requested in Drawing1. I close out of drawing1 so I can use the import wizard. I keep the import settings at the bottom left checked. Once imported I save the Drawing2 and Open Drawing1.

As you said in step1 the settings did not migrate but the styles did.

Step2 I opened the object Layers tab from right clicking on Drawing1. I then Clicked on ok to close.

Step3 I then switched to Drawing2. I opened the object layers tab from right clicking on Drawing2. (Layers did not come through). (tried this three times).

I am using Civil3D 2014.

Message 9 of 10
Jay_B

@RCBmstg007 wrote:

Step2 I opened the object Layers tab from right clicking on Drawing1. I then Clicked on ok to close.

Step3 I then switched to Drawing2. I opened the object layers tab from right clicking on Drawing2. (Layers did not come through). (tried this three times).

I am using Civil3D 2014.

Maybe this Crossing the Line with Civil 3d Blog will help.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 10 of 10
RCBmstg007

That is what I confused for. Tutorials are great! I did also check the Settings for the commands. It looks like none of the customized commands transfered over. But the Object Layers did.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report