Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing .sdf from Hec RAS

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
JSMoraga
2362 Views, 7 Replies

Importing .sdf from Hec RAS

Greetings,

I have been trying to import/export information to create a flood map using hec ras. I succesfully (not without some pain), imported the geometric data into HEC RAS and did my analysis. I create the .sdf and try to import it to Civil 3D, but, while it appears to have imported succesfully, it does not show the water lines.

As a matter of fact, CIVIL3D indicates at some point that the minimim and maximum elevations are both 0.00m.

I checked the .sdf file, which I attach, and it looks fine to me. It has the information of the water level as it should.

I think I´ve watched every video avilable and i can´t seem to find the answer. 

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JSMoraga
in reply to: JSMoraga

No help? Did I not explain myself properly?

Message 3 of 8
pauldurrell

I've got the same problem so not sure if you recieved an answer or if anyone can help ??

Message 4 of 8
Hidden_Brain

i have faced some issues with the SDF import in the past and decided to to go the "CREATE PROFILE FROM FILE" route. after i run steady/unsteady state, from the tables window, i save the STA and WSE as a text file, that i can import to automatically create the water surface profile in my stream centerline (HEC-RAS reach) profile view. from there on, i can create the floodplain by stepped offset feature lines, or a corridor.

sorry, not the answer you are looking for, cannot help much with the SDF. 

Message 5 of 8
pauldurrell
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

Thanks for the help, I'll give it a go and let you know ! Regards Paul Durrell MIEAust Environmental Engineer Klohn Crippen Berger Level 5 - 43 Peel St., South Brisbane QLD 4101 AUSTRALIA Postal address: PO Box 3276, South Brisbane QLD 4101 AUSTRALIA D +61.7.3004.0278| T +.61.7.3004.0244 | F +61.7.3004.0299 | PDurrell@klohn.com | www.klohn.com____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ If you have received this email in error, please delete the original message.
Message 6 of 8
sdas.us

I am having same trouble importing floodplain mapping boundary from the *.SDF file into Civil 3D 2014. The only features that gets imported correctly are the river stationing alignment lien and the XS lines.

Message 7 of 8
ssomick
in reply to: Hidden_Brain

how do you get the data in the TXT file into the proper format. Surely you don't manually delate all of the leading spaces & cut & paste every line into ascending order?

if so, time for some vb.net. Which I might do something with anyway, that would calculate the section line end points, assign the elevation to those & create a sruface from all of those points

Message 8 of 8
Mark_Castle

I haven't had much luck with .sdf files either. Take a look at the attached document. It explains how to export your surface model to HEC-RAS so that you can use RAS Mapper to do the floodplain delineation and create a shape file, which you can then import back into Civil 3D. There are a few steps (plus an intermediate program) that you need to go though to get a usable surface in HEC-RAS, but I was able to do it with pretty good results.

Mark Castle
Win 10 64-Bit, Thinkpad P50
16 GB RAM; Core i7-6820HQ; Quadro M1000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report