Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Points into Civil 3D 2012

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
rkmin
1326 Views, 2 Replies

Importing Points into Civil 3D 2012

I was wondering what is the difference between importing points under the Prospector tab versus importing points under the Suvey tab? And how either of the two methods relate to using Data Shortcut?

I would like to create a survey topo drawing that contains points and surface information which other Design drawings that are attached to the Data Shortcut project can access but not be able to make any changes to the original points and existing surface information.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: rkmin

If you use the Prospector to import points, you are only importing points into the drawing itself.  By doing this, points can be deleted, moved and rotated.

If you bring points in through the Survey tab, you are creating a database.  By creating a database, points are locked and you cannot mess them up.  Keep in mind, if you unlock the points that are in a database, the points lose their relationship to the database.  But, they can be reassociated with the database.

The best practice would be to use a database.  This way if someone messes something up, you can always retrieve the original from the database.  Also, you have the ability to create a new drawing, or use an existing drawing, and just insert the points from the database straight into the new/other drawing.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 3
rkmin
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thank you for your explanation.  That makes a lot of sense and addresses my concern of not having the points manipulated by others.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report