Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing points from an external project

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
wbrustle
462 Views, 7 Replies

importing points from an external project

Hello

When I import points from an external project point database (LDD) which I do quite often to import points from 2008 to Civil 3d it works fine for me, but when a co-worker tries doing it from the same exact drawing just a different computer it does not work. Whe he tries to do it, a red "X" appears telling him there is some kind of error. VERY strange and I have no clue why???? Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dgordon
in reply to: wbrustle

it might help to list the computer specs and operating system as well as the version of C3D that the offending computer is using. Also list exactly what is being done when the error occurs.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 8
mathewkol

How about you doing it on his computer, just to make sure the same procedure is being followed.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 8
AllenJessup

This is a long shot. If you're importing them in to an existing drawing. Try Recovering that drawing.

Is the LDD drawing stored on your server? You might test it locally on the misbehaving computer.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
wbrustle
in reply to: AllenJessup

We figured out the problem. It seems to be related to the operating system.

The computer the points are not importing into from LDD has XP as the operating system and the computer it is working on has Windows 7.

Thanks for the tips

Message 6 of 8
rl_jackson

I have noticed issues with this and found that the best practice is to imprort the points into a blank drawing started from my template, export the points to a csv file and start a new drawing importing from the csv to the drawing or survey database depending on your workflow. It seems to remove any link or conversion that C3D does during the process. I have found that the same holds true for sufaces as well removing any link to LDD is almost required as this causes issues with C3D, and may not be just an OS based issue.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
wbrustle
in reply to: rl_jackson

ok

thanks I will def. look into that!

Message 8 of 8
AllenJessup

For anyone who tries to directly convert LDD points that exist in a drawing. You should be aware of THIS.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report