Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Point from Text file - Scale Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
638 Views, 3 Replies

Importing Point from Text file - Scale Issue

Hi Atudesk users,

I am using autodesk autocad civil 3D (Metric).

When I am importing point from text file it comes with different scale which is not to 1:1.

Actual scale is 1: 3.280 which is exactly equal to 1m :1 ft ratio.

So, my guess is, X,Y,Z co-ordinates are importing to autocac civil 3D is in feets and messured distance points in meters. 

Can anybody please sugges me to overcome this issue. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sboon
in reply to: Anonymous

Welcome to the Civil 3d board.

Trying to figure out how this could happen.  Are you importing the points using the Survey database, or directly into the drawing?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 4
SurveyorLee

In Options, check that the insertion units is not set to Meters.

Is this a drawing that is supposed to be metric and you have imperial units for the points?

If so, there should be a way to import all of it into an imperial dwg and then convert all data to a metric drawing.

SurveyorLee

Message 4 of 4
BrianHailey

The only way a text file will have the numbers changed (doesn't matter if the data is metric or imperial, feet, inches, parsecs, etc.) is if your point file format is set to a specific coordinate system, your drawing is in a different coordinate system, and you toggle on "Do coordinate transformation if possible". If none of that is happening, a point file is just numbers and your drawing assumes that number is in the same unit/coordinate system that your drawing is in.

If you are using the survey database, that's a different story.

Can you copy and paste the first couple lines of data from your text file for us? And, even better, can you record the steps you are taking? Jing is a free program that lets you record your screen and then upload the file to screencast.com (also free) or you could use Chronicle which is an Autodesk service.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report