Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing MX Highway design to Civil 3D

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
oreillysea
3522 Views, 10 Replies

Importing MX Highway design to Civil 3D

Hi all

I'm new to this forum so any help with my query would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking into switching to AutoCad Civil 3D from MxRoads. Up to now I have been using Mx and have a large back catalogue of roads work all in MX formats, Input files, Genios etc.

Given that Mx is string based and Civil 3D appears to be section based, I'm wondering if when you import a genio created in Mx, is there a way to "link" a carriageway string to the master string, without having to recreate the alignment from scratch. If I needed to do a quick change to a vertical alignment or a road widening I want to be able to do without reinventing the wheel!!! I need to ensure that the program can recognise the relevant cway string that matches the Master string.

If any other information is need or my query is unclear please let me know

Thanks

S

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: oreillysea

not sure if the object intelligence is maintained via GENIO as it is when creating objects natively in C3D. I'm guessing that you are aware of the GENIO converter available on the subscription site which imports various objects and although it has limitations I'm not sure how it handles complex geometry strings

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 11
oreillysea
in reply to: neilyj666

Thank you for your response. I haven't switched over to C3D as of yet I am looking into it but need to get all the pros and cons before talking to jump, as I'm currently Mx I need to be sure that they are compatible, within reason, any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sea

Message 4 of 11
neilyj666

You may be as well downloading the trial version and using it for 30 days although I'm not sure if the GENIO converter is available for the trial and the Civil 3D learning curve can be VERY steep.

XML files can also be imported to Civil but not sure if MX can export them.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
MikeEvansUK

I have not used it from Civil3d to MX and have been told there is an incorrect statement in the exported text file but I have used it in the other direction.

Intelligence for IP / VIP in Profiles and alignments is not maintained (dragging will not adjust the alignment / profile accordingly). However it will bring data in and allow you to edit it, delete an element & recreate over it to obtain inteligence where required.

You will be able to import all design alignments, profiles & feature strings as well as 3d geometry. I use this feature a lot as other companies we interact with run MX.

Edit: Oh you wont get a corridor object model, you will need to model that manually from the designed alignments & profiles / 3d geometry.

I reconmend not using on live projects, continue in MX only swap to Civil3d for new projects using existing data.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 6 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Although a major flaw I encountered recently was when bringing in an existing topo via GENIO there were a lot of single point spot level strings that the GENIO converter couldn't handle and so were ignored, thus compromising the EGL model.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
MikeEvansUK

I've seen this many times before too and would only use genio import for alignments, profiles & other strings from moss / mx.

The best methiod of importing any surface model is to generate triangles and export a dxf / dwg file. use these for the definition then add any string data to it.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 8 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

@mikeevans wrote:

I've seen this many times before too and would only use genio import for alignments, profiles & other strings from moss / mx.

The best methiod of importing any surface model is to generate triangles and export a dxf / dwg file. use these for the definition then add any string data to it.

Definitely but any GENIO files we get have been generated by a 3rd party and we are unlikely to be provided with any further data which is very annoying.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
oreillysea
in reply to: neilyj666

Thank you for your responses,

From the feed back I'm getting here it seems that the transferring from Mx to C3D is not as seamless as hoped. I am wondering what in ye're opinion would be the better option. I would be hoping to incorporate drainage etc into my models and I do note that the interface of C3D seems more graphically based, Up to now however I have been using Mx and do like the control Input files provide, especially in transferring information and the dual working that can happen on the same alignment at the same time.

Any advice ye could send my way would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks again

Sea

Message 10 of 11
neilyj666

Ahhhh...input files; a relic from the old UNIX days of MOSS...I remember them well and quite liked the way they could be replayed actually.

No such feature in Civil though and everything is wizard/graphically based unless you are a wizard at .NET in which case much of the objects are exposed for programming etc (but this is way beyond me although much could presumably be automated but it would take a long time to code it I guess...).

Is there a compelling reason to change from MX - if it ain't broke don't fix it. As I said previously the learning curve is very steep and adequate training is an absolute must to flatten that curve a little..

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
MikeEvansUK

You could try Landxml which may be better than genio exports? http://communities.bentley.com/products/road___site_design/w/road_and_site_design__wiki/2937.aspx However it will always be a problem to design one project in two programs.

I sudgest only using the one to design in, only share data for information and for others to tie into.

Edit: BTW, Civil 3d does not differenciate alignments like MX, we only have Alignments.

As I said previously. Do not move over existing current projects to Civil3d, only start new ones or use data as prevously designed as As built information to work from.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report