Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Lat/Longs

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
autoMick
2562 Views, 16 Replies

Importing Lat/Longs

Hi, I have a point file in decimal lat long format and I'm having all sorts of trouble getting these points in to Civil3D. I've attached the csv file, as well as screen shots of my custom point file import settings. As you can see, the points file parses OK in testing and seems to match the format, but for some reason Civil3D doesn't like it and won't give me the OK button to finish the process.

Could someone look over this and give me some hints please?

Thanks

- Mick

Points setting.JPG

NoOK.JPG

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
antoniovinci
in reply to: autoMick

Try to _MAPIMPORT the attachment, sir: is it in the right way?

Message 3 of 17
autoMick
in reply to: antoniovinci

That looks correct Antonio - what steps did you go through to achieve that please?

Thanks

- Mick

Message 4 of 17
ToddRogers-WPM

Shoudn't the Longitude be the -28 ???

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 17

TRogers wrote:

Shoudn't the Longitude be the -28 ???

No, sir: it means 28° of latitude South, i.e. 28 degrees below the Equator.

@autoMick 

I converted your CSV to shapefile (EPSG:4326) by means of a Gis opensource, but maybe there's an Autocad way: stay tuned

Message 6 of 17
ltwigg

2 suggestions:

1) Have you changed the drawing ambient settings for lat/long from DDD.MMSSSS (decimal DMS) to Decimal?

Your points look like they are in decimal degrees but if the file is configured for DMS, then it cant handle the ".88" in the latitude (its expecting value between 00 and 60). 

2) Do you have the csv file open? If I have the text file open when attempting an import then it can't complete the import process. 

settings.png

Luke

Civil 3d 2012 SP1, 3ds Max 2012, Civil View
Intel Core i7 X980 @ 3.33GHz, 12GB ram, 64-bit Win7
Message 7 of 17
autoMick
in reply to: ltwigg

Hi - thanks for the replies...

I confirm that -28 is the latitude, 28 degrees south of the equator. The positive longitude is East.

Luke: Thanks. I hadn't considered the drawing setup, and what you say makes sense but I did as you suggested and it didn't seem to influence the outcome. CSV file is closed when I do this. Any other suggestions?

With the point file format: There doesn't seem to be any documentation I can find that even discusses the exact format that the different options are. For example "Degrees-Latitude", is this just the integer component or the full decimal expression for the latitude? How is this different from simply "Latitude". What are the exact input requirements for these? The only one I've been able to find some info on is the "Dashed Latitude" option, which I could adapt the data to if needed, but I shouldn't have to.

Antonio: OK I understand, I'll have a look at QGIS, although my question was really about why it was not working in Civil3D. I can't understand why my point file format is not providing the input I need.

Thanks again

- Mick

Message 8 of 17
odoshi

Hi,

You need to be using DECDEG Latitude and DECDEG Longitude for your columns. (By the looks of your parsed data).

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 9 of 17
autoMick
in reply to: odoshi

Thanks Mike, you nailed it there. I knew it had to be simple - I just needed someone to point out the obvious to me!
Thanks again
- Mick
Message 10 of 17
ThomasGreen2175

I am trying to import lat/long points into Civl 3D drawing.  I have created the file format using the DECLat and DECLong. Changed ambient dwg settings to decimal for both Direction and Lat Long. I have used both the insert points and survey database.  Each time the using survey command line reads: topodata.txt has been interrupted.  When I import a point file I get the sign that no points were transfered from the source.  Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Message 11 of 17

ThomasGreen2175 wrote:

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Well, it's very hard to believe that your surveyor (mr.Haffner?) covered an easting zone from -84 to 84.

Moreover, a point like 40.52022614,84.89544739 brings me to the Kirgizistan desert: are you really sure about the plausibility of your data?

Message 12 of 17

Opps, I had changed the neg to pos on first few coordinates to see if that would change the import.  The import still stopped.  I have corrected the coordinates back to correct sign and reattached the file.  Still would like to know what that has to do with not being able to import the points.  I can enter the coordinates into my Leica simulation software after converting to DD MM SS from decimal degrees, which then converts to Northerning and Easting.  There are several thousand points and I was hoping to find an easier way.

Tom   

Message 13 of 17

Given that survey refers to the Jay county (Indiana), you can simply load those points thru the _IMPORTPOINTS command, choosing PNEZD (comma delimited) as input format.

If something goes wrong, feel free to _MAPIMPORT my attached shapefile, sir.

Message 14 of 17

Thanks for the shape file, I have not imported shape files before either.  I usually do the topography on my own and import the point from the Leica insturment  as PNEZD from a .txt file directly.  I have tried the import points routine and that does not work also.  It would still be interesting to know why I can not import the points as dec degrees directly into the drawing.  I was hoping to save some time by using the previous data, but by the time if  figure it out, I  could have gotten the information the old way. Smiley Happy

Tom

Message 15 of 17
wfberry
in reply to: ThomasGreen2175

Thomas:

This is an edit.  Nothing showed on my first post. 

I had not problem inserting all of your Lat-Long (s) in a dwg.

Bill

Lat-Long.png

Message 16 of 17
hameduip
in reply to: wfberry

Dear Sir;

Please explain it, how you provide your attached steps, for detail please see my attached image.

Capture.PNG

Message 17 of 17
Pointdump
in reply to: hameduip

Hamed,

I don't know what the "100" is at the end of each line:

1,40.52022614,-84.89544739,884.53,100
2,40.52022544,-84.89550365,884.73,100
3,40.52022502,-84.89557559,884.99,100
4,40.52022464,-84.89565742,885.08,100

But you can safely ignore that "100" if your Point File Format looks something like this:

Indiana.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report