Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing land

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
jnjhuz
304 Views, 2 Replies

importing land

When I tried to import surfaces from landdesktop 2008 to civil 3d 2012 it wouldn't let me import anything but description keys. Is that because there were too many surfaces? Maybe the dwg was too big?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
BrianHailey
in reply to: jnjhuz

I've never heard of any issues with importing LDT surfaces. Are you sure you chose the correct path for the project? It's been a while but I belive you have to specify the project path and the project. Try messing around with those a bit (go one or two directories higher or deeper and see if that changes anything).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 3
tcorey
in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian, you're exactly right. I have seen soooo many times users with projects stored in some strange places.

To the OP: The problem is with the nomenclature "Project Path." This makes it sound like you should pick the project folder when you use the Browse button to the right. That's wrong.

The Project Path is the parent folder of a group of projects. If this setting is used correctly, you should have just a few options in the pulldown, the list of project parent folders.

A coomon practice is to group projects by year, so Project Path might equal P:\Projects2014 or P:\Projects2013. Any folders that exist at the top level within a Project Path are considered projects. A project might look like this: P:\Projects2014\14-001 and it would contain sub-folders Align, dwg, Terrain, COGO, Parcels, etc. 

What happens is users hit that Browse button to the right and they browse down and pick the project directory instead of its parent. Land Desktop thinks folders within this Project Path are projects, so the drop down list of projects lists Align, dwg, COGO, etc. instead of 14-001, 14-002, 14-003, etc.

Your task is to determine what Project Path you had set in Land Desktop when you created the TIN you're now trying to import into Civil 3D. Search for *.TIN.

If you did make this mistake, don't feel bad. I have seen this problem literally hundreds of times and just last week had a support issue caused by this, even though Land Desktop's last version was released almost six years ago.In my opinion, it's Autodesk's fault for lax programming, but that's a complaint for an era long past (in sofware years.)

Best wishes to everyone for a happy 2014,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report