Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing google earth surface/mesh and referencing it to drawing

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
glanglois
1260 Views, 8 Replies

Importing google earth surface/mesh and referencing it to drawing

Hello all,

I have a quick question on importating google earth surfaces.

I have a few polylines that represent the path of a pipeline we are building.

I would like to import the google earth surface for that area and incorporate it into my drawing.

My question is how do I properly reference the drawing to the surface so that it scales correctly and overlays correctly.

I have a few known global points of my polyline, but right now it is in an arbitary format (northing, easting, elevation). I have not yet setup a coordinate system.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bingeomatics
in reply to: glanglois

I think you can do it only in AutoCAD Civil 2011\2012

Binnat Khalilov
Message 3 of 9
antoniovinci

1] set your CRS with _ADESETCRDSYS

2] _IMPORTGESURFACE

Message 4 of 9
glanglois
in reply to: antoniovinci

I understand the commands I am supposed to use. How do I assign the local coordinate system a global one based on a few known points?

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
bingeomatics

To creat local coordinate system, you must find dX, Dy of coordinate orign and axes angel your local system between the global

Binnat Khalilov
Message 6 of 9
antoniovinci

glanglois wrote:

How do I assign the local coordinate system a global one based on a few known points? 

Don't getcha, sir: would you please copy&paste here some of those "few known points" coordinates you have?

Message 7 of 9
glanglois

Let me try to clarify, I will provide exact points tonight when I am at my workstation. Our (line) starts at an arbitrary point 4000m north, 2000m east, elevation. The next points were measured from that base point (I.e 4006mn, 2007me, elevation) and so on. I do know the global lat/ long coordinates of a few of these points. As stated my goal is to take these lines of a arbitrary coordinate system and overlay it (accurately) over the google earth import. Thanks
Message 8 of 9
antoniovinci

glanglois wrote:
I do know the global lat/ long coordinates of a few of these points

Since you already have some LL84 points, why don't you simply join them to get a 3D polyline?

In other words: do you really need to add local surveys to the existing georeferenced ones?

Message 9 of 9
glanglois

I'm fairly familar with the "JOIN" command, however I don't know how that would
be useful here. Maybe I'm not thinking of this correctly but I do only have a
few of the points in the global (lat/long form) so how would it be possible to
make a polyline based on that?

I already have Polylines created for all of my line data (consists of aprox fifty points)

I have lat/long data corresponding to 3 of those points

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report