Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing DEM GEOTIFF into Civil 3d 2011

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
CivilDavid
9588 Views, 7 Replies

Importing DEM GEOTIFF into Civil 3d 2011

Hi there,

We have some clients that are using version 2011 and we are using 2014. The landxml we made for them was too big for them to import. My boss made a DEM GEOTIFF to send as it was much smaller. 

The client has called me and asked me how the heck does he import the file as he as never worked with them. I have a computer with a 2012 installation, but it's corrupt, none of the MAP utilities work.

Can someone tell me how to instruct my client to import this file. 

I have searched the google and found nothing. 

Thanks in advance. 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: CivilDavid

He can type Mapconnect at the command prompt. Once the dialog appears, use the Add Raster Image or Surface Connection to attach the GeoTIFF.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8
CivilDavid

thanks for the reply. I tried that and it doesn't produce what I am looking for. 

It was actually easier that I assumed. You just create a surface the normal way you would, then in the definition tab in toolspace, right click DEM files, change file type to .tif and whamo!

The only problem I am having now is it is coming in 34 feet to the south.

I am creating this file from a drawing, then importing it into the same drawing and it's applying a shift by itself. The drawing and DEM file are in the correct coordinate system.

The weird thing was, when I used the method you suggested (mapconnect), it brought it in the right place, but it wasn't an autocad surface, just an image of a surface. 

Message 4 of 8
tcorey

Check your drawing settings and be sure you're using US Survey Foot, not International Foot. That could cause that 34' bust.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 8
Joe-Bouza

I'm LAte for super. Surface>> create surface from DEM
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 8
Cadguru42

@CivilDavid wrote:

thanks for the reply. I tried that and it doesn't produce what I am looking for. 

It was actually easier that I assumed. You just create a surface the normal way you would, then in the definition tab in toolspace, right click DEM files, change file type to .tif and whamo!

The only problem I am having now is it is coming in 34 feet to the south.

I am creating this file from a drawing, then importing it into the same drawing and it's applying a shift by itself. The drawing and DEM file are in the correct coordinate system.

The weird thing was, when I used the method you suggested (mapconnect), it brought it in the right place, but it wasn't an autocad surface, just an image of a surface. 

Civil 3D 2013 and newer have a known issue where the MAPIMPORT (not the FDO method) does not read a GeoTIFF's header correctly. It ignores the UNITS field. This has caused all 111 of our county aerials to be imported as meters instead of US Survey feet. We have to turn off the coordinate system, import the image(s), then turn the coordinate back on in order to use our color GeoTIFFs. I wonder if the import a DEM uses the same code methods which could cause this issue?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 7 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: Cadguru42

That shift sounds like it might be caused by having one file set to US Foot and another file set to International Foot.

Or have Survey set to one while the drawing is set to the other.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 8
Red.Hawk
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

This came in my google search, and it helped a lot.

Thanks so much (Although this is more than 3 years late :D)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report