Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importin SHP Files

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
M_RR
699 Views, 11 Replies

Importin SHP Files

Hi, I am trying to import a SHP file to obtain a surface. The imported data come in a polyline.

The data containt x and y as well as elevation. But, when I use the command

" mapimport " , the imported data only have 4 elevation ( 1,2,3 and 4). This is rather unexpected because the line

represent the topography of a large area. 

I am working under Civil-3D 2013. Any idea on this problems ?

The original data are okay, they were exported from GIS and they works fine on this station.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: M_RR

Depending on which version you are using, if you want to create a Civil 3D surface from a .shp file, you can click on the Home tab of the ribbon, on the Create Ground Data panel, select Surfaces, then Surface from GIS Data.  This is the best option for creating a surface from a .shp file.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 12
M_RR

Hi, thanks for the reply.

When I do this, I get a message that " the mapping of the data is empty " ( am in french.. it says « mappage des données est vide » ). I guess it means that my original data aren't supported or something ?

Because, if I use mapimport, it works.. allthought I do not get elevation ... so there is data on the shape files. Am confused !

Message 4 of 12
M_RR

Oh, I tryed to import the data even if it says the file are empty. I get a error message ( 14 000 events ) saying " break line ( x,y,z ) - break line ( x,y,z )... ".

Message 5 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM

I think you're missing the most important factor in creating this.  It's on the last page of the wizard where you have to specify Elevation.  See below...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 6 of 12
M_RR
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I do not have a elevation criteria on the GIS's side. I have Zmin and Zmax ( which are the same value, and act as elevation in the GIS). So I tryed to specify elevation to Zmin or Zmax. The results is the same,

" error : 86 912 events " .. Creation.png

Creation.png

Message 7 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM

Attach the .shp file here and I will create the surface for you.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 8 of 12
M_RR
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I would like to do it, but those are protected data.. I cannot put them on internet like this 😞

Message 9 of 12
KirkNoonan

Sounds like you should try the older, two-step method. Import your shapefile contour lines into an empty drawing. Open a new, empty drawing and using your map tools, query the first drawing making sure to alter the properties of your lines to put them at the proper elevation during the query. If this is all Greek to you, let me know and I'll try to get a couple of screenshots up for you.

Message 10 of 12
ToddRogers-WPM

It looks like you have created the surface successfully using the Altitude.  The error messages you are getting are because of Crossing Breaklines.  You will always get these messages when creating a surface from a .shp file.  You can ignore the messages.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 11 of 12
M_RR
in reply to: KirkNoonan

I tryed the old two-step version. But I got issue with the elevation thing.

and the new method, I only get like half my topo line ! Maybe the problem is in the shape file data.. i'll cross check this. Thanks for your help so far ! 

Message 12 of 12
M_RR

I found the problem ! Ah thanks for the help ! 🙂

As usual, it was a code 18 ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report