Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Survey Data default point group styles

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
IanMcClain
2009 Views, 10 Replies

Import Survey Data default point group styles

When you use the Import Survey Data wizard it automatically creates a point group that goes to the top of the list. This used to be created with a standard point style and description, but something has changed and I'm getting a different symbol and label that I definitely don't want as the default. I would think that this would be controled by the CreatePointGroup settings, but that isn't working for me. I can't find any other settings that would override or control this. Any ideas?

Ian McClain
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: IanMcClain

We typically use Description Keys to control these Styles, not the Point Group.

Sinc
Message 3 of 11
IanMcClain
in reply to: Sinc

So do we, but we also use some pre-defined point groups to control the style for our countrol points, which are always created within a predefined point range but do not have a standard description and the symbol used can vary depending on what the end product is.

It's kind of a moot point since I just move the auto created point group to the bottom of the list anyway. I'm just curious what is telling it to create point groups with a back flow preventer as the style 😕

Ian McClain
Message 4 of 11
Sinc

There are lots of problems like this in C3D.  As another example, if you use a suffix or prefix in an Object Layer setting, newly-created layers do not copy the Plot Style set in the source layer.  It's one of those many user-unfriendly items in C3D that don't get fixed, even though we have new incompatible releases every year.

Sinc
Message 5 of 11
IanMcClain
in reply to: Sinc

I figured it out:

Go to Settings > Point > Edit Feature Settings > Defualt Styles. If they are set to none, change it to something acceptable, and then change it back to none. It seems the survey database import will not set the point group it creates to <none> so it remembers whatever that last default was.

Ian McClain
Message 6 of 11
CADmgrMike

I'm having the same issue and it just recently started happening.

When I import points from a survey database, the point group it creates has a drill point style with north-east label.

Not sure if the issue cropped up when we implemented 2013 from 2012 or somewhere a setting got changed, but really need to figure this one out. Smiley Mad

Mike Porter
https://provostandpritchard.com/
Message 7 of 11
IanMcClain

Does the above solution work for you in 2013? If not, try setting the CreatePointGroup command with some acceptable default styles.

Ian McClain
Message 8 of 11
CADmgrMike

No. That's what I tried first.

I also checked the "Create point group" command settings to make sure it was correct there.

I also opened my template and created a new point group. It came up with a default style of DRILL POINT and label style of NORTH-EAST, so I changed it to the correct styles and created a new group. I then deleted that point group, saved my template and then tried importing points again. Still came up with the DRILL POINT and NORTH-EAST styles.

I'm suspecting now that it may be because we saved our 2012 template in 2013 rather than using a new 2013 template and importing our custom setttings into it.

I know there are a couple other issues that doing that causes.

Mike Porter
Message 9 of 11
CADmgrMike

Just tried it using the OTB 2013 Imperial template and it works fine.

There's something missing when you save an older version template drawing to a newer version.

Mike Porter
Message 10 of 11
IanMcClain

Interesting. What happens if you import all styles and settings into the fresh template? Does the problem come back?

Ian McClain
Message 11 of 11
CADmgrMike

I tried it and It works fine.

I don't think it's a style issue. It's something in the DNA of the older template vs the newer template.

My gut thinks if it was a version update that wasn't also a drawing format change, it might not have been a problem.

But who knows??

Mike Porter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report