Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import shp file coordinate system problems

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
wglenn13
7989 Views, 27 Replies

Import shp file coordinate system problems

I have some shapefiles form a client for their water system.  I'm trying to import them into C3D and make a master map and model the system.  I'm having issues with the coordinate systems and can't get the shp files to come in correctly.  I'm connecting to the shapefiles through "mapwspace"  The shape files say that they are in LL84 or LL83 coordinate system.  I tried changing the drawing coordinate system to a world coordinate system and still couldn't get the shape files in correctly.  Is there any way I can bring them into a state plane coordinate system?  I want them georeferenced for aerial and surveying purposes.  Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated.

I attached one of the shape files for people to try.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Pointdump
in reply to: wglenn13

W,

The shapefiles don't have to be the same coordinate system as your drawing. They will automatically convert to match your drawing as long as they have an identified coordinate system. Your drawing can remain in State Plane.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 28
antoniovinci

As correctly stated by Dave, you can automatically convert your shape upon importing, as long as it carries a right PRJ file.

Would you please copy and paste here the content of that PRJ..?

Message 4 of 28
wglenn13
in reply to: antoniovinci

Is this what you are looking for?

Message 5 of 28
wglenn13

When I import the shp files, I ID in the area where it is imported and I am getting xy coordinates that do not make sense.  X = -80xxxx  Y = 33xxxx  That is why I know it's not coming in correctly.

Message 6 of 28
antoniovinci

That PRJ file means a Lat/Long system, so probably the shape units are degrees: please upload the SHP file, thx.

Message 7 of 28
wglenn13

Here you go...

Message 8 of 28
antoniovinci

Sir, are we talking about somewhere near Woodstock, Alabama..?

Message 9 of 28
wglenn13

Absolutely!  So what in the world am I doing wrong/missing here?

Message 10 of 28
antoniovinci

Your survey contains 2847 points, yielding a bounding box center at :

W 87° 6' 41.3562" , N 33° 12' 26.9058"

The negative X you've read is simply meaning "East of Greenwich", i.e. W=West.

Now, try the following steps:

1. open the State Plane drawing
  2. in the command line, type MAPIMPORT
  3. browse and select the Meters shape
  4. set LL84 in this point:

mapimport.gif

When you click OK, and perform a Zoom Extents, is the survey aligned to the main drawing?

Message 11 of 28
sboon

The data in the prj file suggests that the points should be WGS84 coordinates, but the data in your shape file has Lat and Longs.  Antonio has showed you how to force the software to ignore the prj file and use the correct system, but you may want to talk to whoever provided the data to confirm what is going on.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 28
wglenn13
in reply to: sboon

Thanks, definately comes in where I expect it to now.  I can make that work if I need to.  The next problem is that when using MAPIMPORT, I lose all the attributes associated to the files.  Linework is great, but I don't have the information linked anymore from the GIS files.  Is there another way I need to ask the client to send me these files so I can use the connect data to get the shape files into C3D and not lose all of the important information I need?

Message 13 of 28
antoniovinci

wglenn13 wrote:

not lose all of the important information I need?

mapimport[1].gif

Message 14 of 28
sboon

The map connect tools have a similar function, allowing you to override the prj file and specify the system to be used with your shape file.  Click the Edit Coordinate Systems option, select the line to be changed then click the Edit button to open the Library.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 28
wglenn13

I would like to do it through the map connection tools.....I have tried overriding the coordinate system, but it is still not coming in the correct XY location as when I did it the other way.  Any idea on what to do from here from the map connection tool?

Message 16 of 28
Pointdump

W,

I had two unsuccessful tries using the Map Connect Tools before I was successful. The first time it took the Longs and Lats and called them Northings and Eastings. Obviously, that put your SHP about 500 miles away. The second time the Northings and Eastings were switched. Third time worked like a charm. 2015 seems to work better than 2014.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 17 of 28
wglenn13
in reply to: Pointdump

I still haven't had any luck with the map connect tools.  Should I request the client resending the shape files to me in a different way?  Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 18 of 28

Hello again Dave and everyone,

I have a similar issue and have followed all of your instructions with the same results.

I am trying to bring in a SHP file from the City of Calgary (which uses NAD83 3TM projection. (Central Meridian 114 Degrees).

The drawing I am trying to bring the SHP file into is in UTM NAD83 Zone11.

Coordinates for the area I am looking at are 5653448N 700177E.

I have attached the SHP file if someone can please have a look. I am also attaching a DWG from the City with the city boundaries which I also tried to import, which is also way out of whack. Am I doing something wrong or is the data just messed up? Or do I need to *gulp* use ArcGIS instead?

Thank you very much for your continuous and continual help.

Liesl

Message 19 of 28
sboon
in reply to: thinkenvirodrafting

According to the drawing settings dialog your drawing is in feet, and has no coordinate system set.  You need to start from a proper template with the correct settings, and then insert the city boundary file to that.

Also, your drawing coordinates don't make sense.  Northings are about right but currently your eastings are at zero.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 20 of 28
thinkenvirodrafting

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

The city boundary dwg file that I attached is what I downloaded from the city - this it not my own drawing.

The City of Calgary uses the 3TM system and they claim that all their data is based on that projection but I can't figure out why the boundary is showing up at those coordinates either. Copying the city boundary and pasting to "original coordinates" into a properly set up drawing doesn't work either so I think the city drawing is not set up properly. Agreed that the northings look about right but not sure why eastings are completely out to lunch. So I am thinking don't even bother with the dwg and try to work with the SHP files instead.

Liesl

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report