Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Point shp files to survey

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jamesbarnett
1135 Views, 13 Replies

Import Point shp files to survey

We are using Trimble Access to collect data in the field and each point has multiple attributes. I then process it in TBC and get a shapefile with all the data I need in it. I can get the shp file in Civil 3d multiple ways, but I can't figure out how to load it into my survey database so I can process linework.

How do I get a point shp file into my survey database?

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
odoshi
in reply to: jamesbarnett

Hi,

The Survey Database will take the points in PNEZD (.TXT or .CSV) format or from an Autodesk Fieldbook file (.FBK).

The Fieldbook file allows linework processing from Point Descriptiors.

If you can get the data exported into one of those formats you should be good to go, but most likely you won't have all the other point attributes (multiple descriptions).

>> Edit

There is also Survey Extended Properties which can be read from a Survey LandXML file whcih would aid in keeping additional data withthe points. But I've never converted from SHP to LandXML and am not sure that Trimble will either.

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 3 of 14
antoniovinci

jamesbarnett wrote:

How do I get a point shp file into my survey database?

Have you just tried the _MAPIMPORT command..?

Message 4 of 14
jamesbarnett
in reply to: odoshi

Is there some way to bring the shp files into C3D and then kick them back out so the attribute titles will be in the csv?

Code name      Northing  Easting Elevation Feature Surface Mateial    Comments

Edge of road     5000        5000     100        ER            asphalt              S 8th ST

Code name      Northing  Easting Elevation Feature      TYPE                     Comments

Breakline            5010        5010     100        BL        Toe of Bank         8' flat btm ditch

Code name      Northing  Easting Elevation   Feature      TYPE        Surface Mateial    Comments

Bridge             5020      5000     100         BRGE        HWY              aphalt              S 8th ST

My problem with exporting out to a csv file is that all of my codes don't have the same attributes, or even the same number of attributes.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 5 of 14
jamesbarnett
in reply to: antoniovinci

_mapimport gets my point data in, but I'm still not sure how to get it back to the suvey data base for processing

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 6 of 14
odoshi

One way is to make a block with attributes and use it during MAPIMPORT. Map the shape file's DBF fields to the attributes. Then do a DATAEXTRACTION from AutoCAD to a CSV file.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Caruso
Autodesk Certified Instructor 2014
AutoCAD/Civil 3D Autodesk Certified Professional 2014, 2015, 2018
www.whitemountaincad.com
Message 7 of 14
AllenJessup

Once you get your data in to a CSV file. You can create a User-Defined Property to import the points with additional descriptions.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
jamesbarnett
in reply to: AllenJessup

UDP will not work because depending on the code the attributes will change, so sometime you will have up to 10 attributes, but more importantly the attributes are not always in the same order.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 9 of 14
jamesbarnett
in reply to: odoshi

Making a block everytime I have to process data does not sound very stream lined.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 10 of 14
AllenJessup

@jamesbarnett wrote:

UDP will not work because depending on the code the attributes will change, so sometime you will have up to 10 attributes, but more importantly the attributes are not always in the same order.

That's not good. You can certainly use Map to get in points with multiple attributes. But I don't see how you'll ever get them in the Survey Database. Hopefully someone else will have a solution.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
jamesbarnett
in reply to: AllenJessup

I guess I need to put it on the wish list.

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2022
Message 12 of 14
kbiggs

We are also using Trimble to capture point attributes. We are using a custom program developed by Adam Koerner of CAD Artisans (now Civil 3D Power Tools) that converts the survey data to XML, where we can import this into the survey database.

This program was developed by Adam for the British Columbia MoT, and is proprietary, as we have not been able to accomplish importing points with data into the survey database easily.

I would suggest you contact Adam to see if he can be of help (sales@civil3dpowertools.com)

Regards,

Keith Biggs 

Chair, CAD Committee & Senior CAD Technician

R.F. Binnie & Associates Ltd.Leading in Quality: OQM Certified March 2013.

Message 13 of 14
nate-hunt
in reply to: kbiggs

Just make generic attributes in the UDP.. like att1, att2, att3, att4.. etc..  then create an import format and process... the import format can be saved in your template. You know what attributes are which with each feature, so then you can make point groups in your templates that represent the features and can label the attributes with the attribute titles.

For instance for a Tree point group, make a tree label style w/ Tree Size = <att2>    Tree Species = <att5>   etc..

That's what we do anyway and it works well. We can use the field to finish while keeping all the attributes collected with the Trimble FXL...

Nate

Message 14 of 14
nate-hunt
in reply to: nate-hunt

Oh and skip the shp... just export to PNEZD, + attributes......

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report