Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

import OS Mastermap .gz files

35 REPLIES 35
SOLVED
Message 1 of 36
Anonymous
2854 Views, 35 Replies

import OS Mastermap .gz files

I have recently been upgraded from Civil 3D 2010 to Civil 3D 2014 but cannot work out how to import .gz map data files. This was a simple procedure in 2010 but the options do not appear to be available in 2014. 

Any ideas please? 

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Did you try extracting the zipped .gz file with 7-zip? It's a free extractor that works well with that file format.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 36
miketUYKB6
in reply to: tcorey

I did unzip the file but when I do a mapimport Map 3D says 0 objects imported in 1 second.  I know the file has data because windows explorer says it does.  Is there anything else I can try to get this .e00 file into Civil 3D?  Is there a workaround through Infraworks?  Screenshot 2021-08-19 181649.pngScreenshot 2021-08-19 181619.png

Message 4 of 36
TerryDotson
in reply to: miketUYKB6

.e00 is an ESRI ArcInfo Interchange File, which often contains a GridSurface.   You will likely be able to convert it to something usable with the free QGIS application.  I was under the impression that .GZ files would unzip to XML content.

Can you post the original .GZ file?  You may have to put it in a .ZIP in order to attach it.

Message 5 of 36
Dave_Stoll

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the Autodesk Forums.
As @TerryDotson says, in QGIS you can convert the unzipped .e00 file to a GeoTiff which you can use in a Surface.
Attached is original .gz file, unzipped .e00 file, and converted .tif GeoTiff file.
Dave

MoSurf_1.png

Message 6 of 36
miketUYKB6
in reply to: Dave_Stoll

Dave thank you so much for your reply!

I have downloaded QGIS and would like to know the steps you did to convert the .e00 file.  could you let me know your workflow for this?

Mike T

Message 7 of 36
miketUYKB6

as a follow-up I tried adding the .e00 file as a vector and raster layer, but QGIS says it's invalid.  Should I use a different data source?

Thank you all again for your help.

Mike T

Message 8 of 36
TerryDotson

1. Open a new QGIS session.
  2. Drag/drop the .e00 file to the blank QGIS window.
  3. Choose Raster > Conversion > Translate.
  4. Scroll down and specify output file.
Message 9 of 36
miketUYKB6
in reply to: TerryDotson

Terry,

Thank you for your reply and help, but this does not work for me.  when I drag and drop to my QGIS window I get the following error message (see screenshot)  Did I download the wrong version of QGIS?  I apologize for the trouble, but I really need to figure this out.  Thank you all again for reading and your help.

Mike Tqgis screenshot-1.pngqgis screenshot-2.png

Message 10 of 36
Dave_Stoll

Mike,
As Terry says, Drag-n-Drop.
I'm running 3.18.0 - Zurich.
You can grab the latest, hottest version of QGIS here:
>>>QGIS 3.20.2 'Odense'<<<
Dave

Message 11 of 36
Dave_Stoll

Mike,
Did you use 7-Zip to unzip the .gz file? Or did you use Windows?
Dave

Message 12 of 36
miketUYKB6

Dave,

I used 7zip to unzip the .gz file.

Message 13 of 36
Dave_Stoll

OK, try this one, attached. It's the .e00 file, zipped. See if it will drag-n-drop into QGIS.
Dave

Message 14 of 36
miketUYKB6

Dave,

that one didn't work either.  I even tried uninstalling and re-installing with the Odense version.  I'm not sure what I am doing incorrect.

Message 15 of 36
Dave_Stoll

Mike,
OK, try this. Your g38092e2.e00 file is in a folder with the same name. Change the name of the folder to get rid of the period. Sometimes programs can be finicky like that.
Dave

Message 16 of 36
miketUYKB6

Dave,

That was a no-go as well.  I changed the folder name as you suggested, but QGIS still calls it an invalid file.  Is it my install of QGIS?  I have enclosed a screenshot of what I have installed.  I very much appreciate your efforts in trying to troubleshoot this with me.  If you have any other suggestions, I am open to suggestion.

miketUYKB6_0-1629477892803.png

Mike T

Message 17 of 36
TerryDotson

Better yet, drag/drop the .GZ file to the QGIS window. Worth noting that we are working from Dave's file, not yours!  Your file may be corrupt!

Message 18 of 36
miketUYKB6

Terry,

Thank you again for helping me troubleshoot this as well.  I tried dragging and dropping the .gz files and still no joy.  I am downloading these files from Missouri Spatial Data Information Service.  I tried multiple files just in case it was that first one, but neither would be recognized by QGIS.  I have enclosed both files if either you or Dave want to give them a try.

Message 19 of 36
Dave_Stoll

Terry,
QGIS doesn't seem to be able to work with zipped files. I get the error message if I drag-n-drop the .gz file. I'm going to try Mike's attachments now.
Dave

Message 20 of 36
TerryDotson

I am running 3.18.1 and have no problem dropping both into QGIS.  Maybe they introduced a problem in newer version, see if you can go back to 3.18.  Other items worth discussion (assuming this forum is stable enough to let me post).

Your post title would have one believe you are in Great Britain instead of Missouri.

Is there is reason why you're beating on (dead horse) DEM's when your govt agency has lidar available for download?  Nobody has even mentioned the 'elephant in the room' grid shift problem in Civil3D.

@Dave_Stoll I can drag/drop the .GZ files directly into 3.18.1 no problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report