Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import HEC-RAS into C3D, Stream Station "Error"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
823 Views, 2 Replies

Import HEC-RAS into C3D, Stream Station "Error"

I exported geometry from Auto CAD C3D 2012 to HEC-RAS, export worked great.

Performed hydraulic analysis in HEC-RAS, etc.

Exported the results from HEC-RAS as GIS format (i.e. .sdf), the .sdf file looks good, it has: stream data, water surface data, cross section data...

When I import into C3D there are several problems:

1) the Alignment it creates always starts at station 0+00 (the original alignment that was exported started at 50+00)

2) it creates 2 profiles (as exported from RAS) but the profiles are essentially EMPTY, no station - elevation data in them!!! I think this has something to

do with the stream station problem (i.e. the profile should have a point at Sta: 51+70, but there is no Sta: 51+70 cause the new alignment starts at

0+00 and ends at 15+00)

3) the new alignment it creates always fillets the PI's of the alignment; the original alignment had no curves purposely.

The import does bring in the "Water Surface Extents" properly.

Notes:

- the "Downstream Reach Length" of the last cross section in HEC-RAS is set to 5000.

- I am importing into the same file I exported from

- If I make the stream name the same as the alignment, when I import nothing gets imported, no alignment, no water surface extents, no profiles!!! all i get is a polyline on top of the existing alignment.

- I have attached the .sdf file as a text file; if you would like to test the import change the file extension to .sdf.

- Specs: Auto CAD Civil 3d 2012, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, HEC-RAS v. 4.1.0

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-DenverDave

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I too have had problems with the C3D-HECRAS interopability. I use 2014, so I'm not sure if this will still apply. But here are a few of my notes from my recent headache-y experience:

When importing from RAS to C3D, first rename the original alignment in C3D. What happened to me was if there was an alignment with the same name, sometimes nothing would happen, sometimes a profile shows up that totally incorrect.

During Import, I can't recall if I chose <None> or <RasImport> as the site, but I believe it's the latter, then I just moved it out back to <None>

This allowed me to be able to import the flood extents and the alignment. The profile, sadly, was totally out of whack. Two out of three was sufficent for me at the time so I haven't fully debugged a good process to address your question on profiles.

As for the stationing, I'll see if I can recreate your problem with a dummy file. Whenever I export to RAS I always start at staion 0+000

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the tid-bits that worked for you. I am afraid they didn't work for me.

- When I import a stream with the same name as the alignment I get no data (just a polyline coincident with the alignment, no other data). If I import with different name, the same problem as above persists.

- It doesn't seem to matter which site I import into, <none> or <RASimport>, I get the same results.

-It would be great if all streams started at 0+00 at the DS end of our projects ... however this import is the upstream portion of a larger drainage project and the stationing can not be set at 0+00. (note: if it is temporarily set to 0+00 for the import and then changed back to 50+00 all of the Civil 3D objects associated with the alignment get deleted i.e. the sample lines (cross sections) and profiles. So what is the point?!?)

Still looking for some-one who really know this extension to help us out. Hey James Wedding are you out there???

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report