Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Expressions

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
areese9779
1747 Views, 11 Replies

Import Expressions

Hello all,

We have a surface label style that uses an expression in order to return only the last two digits of the surface (ie -4912.57 appears as 12.57) that we have been using for years.  In order to keep our drawings less cluttered, we will typically drag the label style into a drawing that needs it, rather than starting the drawing with our full blown template.  Recently, when we drag the style into a new drawing from the template, the style will come across, but not the expressions.  This is causing (I believe) our label style to return a value of question marks (??.??) rather than the surface elevation.  I have tried to drag the expression into my new drawing, but it won't come across, and I have tried recreating the expression, but the style doesn't recognize it.  Has anyone else run into this?  Does anyone have a solution?  

We are on Civil 3D 2014, SP2.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Dell Precision M4800, Windows 10 64-bit
Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
doni49
in reply to: areese9779

I tested this using C3D 2014 SP2.  It worked fine for me -- the only time I got the question marks is when I removed the breaklines from the surface (so the surface contained NO elevation info).

I've attached my test files.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 12
areese9779
in reply to: doni49

Hi Don,

Thanks for the response.  Just to confirm, you are able to drag an label style expression from one drawing to another?  Said another way, if you import a label style that uses an expression, the expression will come across to the new drawing?

Thanks again!

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 4 of 12
doni49

I didn't "drag" it, I COPIED to the clipboard and then PASTED it.  I'll try dragging and get back to you.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 12
doni49

@doni49 wrote:

I didn't "drag" it, I COPIED to the clipboard and then PASTED it.  I'll try dragging and get back to you.

Ok.  I created a NEW dwg file to serve as the "destination" file.  Then Pasted the surface and the two rectangles that were serving as the breaklines.

Then I DRAGGED the spot elevation label style and expression (separately) from the source to the NEW destination file.  Then I placed new spot elevations using the test style.

They came in as expected.

I've attached the two NEW test files for your reference.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 12
areese9779

Inneresting.  Would you mind trying the same thing, only using my spot style instead of yours?  I have attached a file that contains all of my spot label styles and the truncate expression.  Are you able to drag any of those style into you drawing?  I have tried this on multiple machines in our office, but if it works for you again, I may have some sort of local issue occurring.  If it doesn't drag for you, then it must be something with the expression itself.

I did try your copy and paste technique, and that appears to bring the expression across, and that fixes the question marks for all styles that use the truncate expression.

Thanks again for your time on this.  It certainly helps to have another set of eyes on the issue.

Andy

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 7 of 12
doni49

I just had a thought about this.....

If the destination drawing already has a label style of the same name, it WILL NOT BE overwritten.  I believe the same will hold true for the expression as well.

I think one of those issues COULD cause this.

EDIT:  I just tested this theory.  It gave me options -- among them was OVERWRITE.  And it DOES overwrite it properly.

I revised the FFE label style in MY file and the label I had already placed updated to match my change.  Then I dragged your style over again.  It asked me what to do and I told it to overwrite.  When it was done, the label updated to match what it was before my change.

Hmm...

Very odd.  If you post a couple sample files, I'd be happy to look at them.  Post one of the files you're trying to drag it into (but it's failing).

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 12
doni49

Here ya go.

I downloaded and opened your file while having my "SOURCE" file opened.   Then I DRAGGED your FFE label style to my file and dragged your expression to my file.

Then I placed a spot elevation using your FFE style on my surface.  Following is a screen shot of that FFE label (in green).

TruncatedSpotElevation.png

Again, I've attached my test dwg file for your reference.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 12
areese9779

Don, 

I have done some additoinal testing, and it appears that only my template drawing will not allow me to drag expressions from it, which is convenient.  At least I have it narrowed down.

Thanks again for your help troubleshooting!

Sincerley,

Andy Reese

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 10 of 12
areese9779

For those that are interested, I was able to correct the problem by opening my original template file and doing an audit on that file.  Once I did that, I was able to drag and drop styles into new drawings as usual, expressions and all.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help.

Andy Reese
C3D 2016, SP3
Message 11 of 12
doni49

@areese9779 wrote:

For those that are interested, I was able to correct the problem by opening my original template file and doing an audit on that file.  Once I did that, I was able to drag and drop styles into new drawings as usual, expressions and all.

Thanks again for the troubleshooting help.

You're certainly welcome.  I'm glad you found the solution.  That was proving to be really strange.

Don Ireland

Message 12 of 12
henry_b007

Can you show me how with a video? I'm trying the same thing now but I do not see results the expressions are not exported

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report