Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMPORT CUSTOM POINT FORMAT

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
manmonza
697 Views, 8 Replies

IMPORT CUSTOM POINT FORMAT

Hello everybody. I am having problem inporting a custom formet. I have checked past posts but nothing has helped. The custom format I am trying to import is PNEZD comma dilimted. i have the csv fils on my desktop and this is what shows up.

BOAT ICKY.JPG

Can somebody a heck of a lot smarter then me HELP!!!!!!!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Jeff_M
in reply to: manmonza

Click on the PNEZD format, so it is fully selected (will turn blue instead of grey), then the OK button should activate.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 9
ToddRogers-WPM

My guess is there is a header in the CSV file.  Open it in Excel and make sure there are no headers in the columns.  If there is, delete them.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 9
Pointdump

MM,

Crack open that text file with a text editor and check to see if it truly is comma delimited. Also, it might have a header that's messing things up, or be missing carriage returns.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 5 of 9
manmonza

icky.JPG

I also gave this a go!! Anybody?

Message 6 of 9
manmonza

I slower then grey matter figured it out with you fine folks help!  THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 9
_Hathaway

Remove Pt. Name North East Depth app.. Code from your .csv file. Delete that entire row so that all you have in your file are point data.
Message 8 of 9
wfberry

I never use a .csv file.  Always use Notepad's .txt file.  It is easy to open and see if you have something "dangling" there you do not need.

Bill

Message 9 of 9
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: _Hathaway

It should be noted and I use this all the time to assist translation & working when in large databases where you have more depth values in differing columns (eg Boreholes)

If you add a symbol such as the hash key "#" prior to the header name (eg #Elevation) you can then ignore them on import by specifying the ignore # in the comment tag and also in each header using the invalid indicator.

You can then keep your headers and import as normal.

I do however find csv files cause lots of agro. I use excel to add data or calcalate values then export as csv file, Open the CSV in notepad and save as a ANSI file.

It still does appear to be hit and miss. I have in the past opened a csv which fails to import and copy/paste the entire file contents into annother one which did work via notepad then saved and imported fine.

Mike

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report