Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

image shifting in rotated viewport

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
lgs663
2930 Views, 26 Replies

image shifting in rotated viewport

any ideas on what is happening
i have an area we are running water lines in and are using the aerial as the survey kind of - so it is important that it not shift - but the viewport needs to be rotated
thanks
lgs
26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
in reply to: lgs663

use the dview command and twist...... enter the angle you wish to rotate the
view to

you have to be in an unlocked viewport for this to work

wrote in message news:5711651@discussion.autodesk.com...
any ideas on what is happening
i have an area we are running water lines in and are using the aerial as the
survey kind of - so it is important that it not shift - but the viewport
needs to be rotated
thanks
lgs
Message 3 of 27
alberto_go

I keep on getting the same problem.... DVIEW and TW, did not resolve the images problem....

Has anyone found anyother workaround?

TIA

- Alberto
Message 4 of 27
lgs663

dv twist did not solve my problem either
and now i cannot even access my tabs when the aerial is loaded - which is putting me in a real pickle
Message 5 of 27
alberto_go

I just noticed something. The images I had were OLE objects (don't know why or how these images got here). I copied and converted those pics to JPEG, then I re-imported those JPEG images using the Map/Image/Insert, I brought them in, scaled them up and place them approx where they needed to be and that worked! Then when I rotated it, the image did not disturb.

It seems that the OLE objects don't like to rotate.

Hope that helps.

- Alberto
Message 6 of 27
lgs663

thanks
now my problem is - my image is a sid - which i believe autocad does read as an OLE object - but sids do not convert to jpgs very well
thanks
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous

If you get the Raster Design Object Enabler, you will be able to import the MrSid file through either MAPIINSERT or IMAGE. Below is a link to the Object Enabler for R2008.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9476871&linkID=9240698
Message 8 of 27
alberto_go

well, for SID images, use the MAP - IMAGE - INSERT and insert those SID images. Make sure you import those images directly in the drawing where the exhibit is being created (don't XREF in). That should work.

- Alberto
Message 9 of 27
petrocat

I've had this problem for a long time, even using map image insert. My files are ECW format, which is just like a SID file. I just have resigned myself to not using images twisted viewports. REALLY BUGS.
Message 10 of 27
Anonymous

Would you be able to post an example of a DWG/ECW pairing where this problem occurs?
Message 11 of 27
petrocat

No. We use arial images that are very large in file size (about 1 gig). And, when it comes down to it, I think it is file size dependant.
For example. I have an color aerial that is 2 gig in size, which is our largest and most current, and ecompasses most of our area of work, in ECW file format. With a DV twist, this image jumps around about 20 to 30 feet from the line work, depending on viewport scale, and, believe it or not, how close I am zoomed into the paperspace layout.
We have another color ECW file from the county, that is approximately 750Mb (smaller area/higher resolution), which will jump around to more like 15 to 20 feet from the line work depending on the same as above.
A third aerial, greyshade SID file 350Mb, from the county, same size and resolution as the previous, and it jumps a off the line slightly less than the previous.
I take the first aerial into ArcView, export out a 1 square mile JPG at 300dpi with a files size of about 6Mb, and there is no apparent deviation from the line work. The resolution is not as good, and if I do that for each project, that needs an aerial for an exhibit then I'd be filling up a lot of file storage for poor results.
I've been told before that this is a graphics card problem, but I don't get those results with other programs. Just AutoCAD 2007, 2008, C3D, LDT, MAP...
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous

Definitely much larger sizes than I have worked with!

It does sound as if your view is twisted more than just horizontally, do you get values of 0,0,1 when you type in -VP?
Message 13 of 27
lgs663

well you just solved part of my problem -
i forgot all about the old -vp command
and some of my -vp's do read as --0.0004,0.1718,0.9851
keep an eye on this thread - i may be back with questions next week when i try to straighten this out

thanks a million
lgs
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous

To help stave off a question or two next week, I have the attached cheezy routine to rotate my viewport based on a bounding line/box pick (2 points to rotate to line, 3 to rotate to first to points then pick zoom window off first and 3rd point). As long as you start with a proper top-down view, your viewport will only rotate horizontally even if you pick points that have Z other than 0.

Be warned though, there is no error-control so if you ESC out of it you will have angle readout of decimal degrees to the largest precision. One day I'd like to take a bit of time to clean it up, but it's been working well for this long...
Message 15 of 27
lgs663

thanks
i'll give it a try
Message 16 of 27
petrocat

-vp? I'd never used that. What are the default settings supposed to be? I checked the acad.dwt OTB and it is at 0,0,1 but the _AutoCAD Civil 3D (Imperial) NCS Extended.dwt is set at VIEWDIR=0.0000,0.0000,60567.0380. Not that it matters, setting the value to 0,0,1, and the doing a dvtwist still makes the image jump.

and yes, the largest image file is TOO large. I asked the vedor to cut it in to smaller sizes, and he asked for more money. Next year, we try some one else. The other file sizes, though big, cover roughly the same area as a 7.5 minute usgs quad. Message was edited by: petrocat
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous

-VP is the old VIEWPOINT command, better info than I can provide would be in the Civil 3D help files.

I don't know why the default for the Z is so high in the template file. If you type in -VP 0,0,1 it does the equivalent of switching to a top-down view zoomed to the drawing's extents with no rotation angle.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the image is shifting. It could quite well be due to Autocad not being able to handle 2GB image files (if that ECW was a TIFF, it would be monstrous). Even a few years ago, the package would have choked on an image 1/10 the size.

As a last-ditch effort, go into the VIEW command and check to see if you have PERSPECTIVE set to ON in the current view.
Message 18 of 27
lorrie.bundy
in reply to: Anonymous

YIKES!!!! a solution......(clouds part, and angels sing)

I just examined the VIEW command, and changed perspective from OFF to ON.....very scary image appeared.

So I changed perspective back to OFF.

Now my sid image is not jumping around when I zoom in and out.

Maybe toggling perspective OFF and ON and OFF does something to fix this bug?

Message 19 of 27
cfabre
in reply to: petrocat

YIKES ME TOO!!
I was having the same problem with a sid file in a rotated viewport. The image did not show in the correct place in the VP, but was fine in model space. Also was fine in a non-rotated VP.
And since it would plot wrong in the rotated VP, its not a video card issue. must be a software glitch.
I did the same fix as lorrie with the VIEW / PERSPECTIVE and it fixed the glitch.
funny that I have 2 clipped sids in this file and the glitch only happens on one of them.

THANKS LORRIE!!!!

Chad Fabre PE

FABRE ENGINEERING INC

Message 20 of 27
stephencowling6059
in reply to: cfabre

For us, this still doesn't solve the problem when the drawing is printed - only when viewed on screen.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report