Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If NAVD88 isn't available, how can it be added into Civil 3d?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Lieblaw
2879 Views, 6 Replies

If NAVD88 isn't available, how can it be added into Civil 3d?

There are conversions to move from NGVD29 and NAVD83 to NAVD88, but why hasn't AutoDesk updated the coordinate systems and included NAVD88?  Is there a way one can "add" this coordinate system into their program to use it and not have to convert each time?  Newb question...I apologize a head of time...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rl_jackson
in reply to: Lieblaw

You must be compleletly confused. First of all NGVD 29 and NAVD 88 are vertical datums which have little to do with the location (LAT/LONG).

NAD83 is a horizontal data and it is included for all US States (to the best of my knowlege) all you have to do is set the State/Zone your in under the settings tab, by selecting the drawing name - right click and using the unit/transforms tab to set the zone.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
Lieblaw
in reply to: rl_jackson

I was indeed confused...Thank you for the clarification. So as it seems, a conversion from NGVD29 to NAVD88 is necessary. Thank you for the insight.
Message 4 of 7
rl_jackson

If you need a datum adjustment try here

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/VERTCON/vert_con.prl

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
Lieblaw
in reply to: rl_jackson

I apologize for the my confusion on the topic.  First off, the owner of the project I'm working on has a disclaimer stating that all of their contour and topographic data is set to NAVD88...they also provide an adjustment ratio (an increase in elevation) to convert to NGVD29.  Does the default settings in Civil 3D 2014 always refer to NAVD88 or does the program never follow a vertical datum?  I am assuming that it doesn't follow vertical datums and the conversion factor the owner provided would only be used for actual survey needs.  Can this be confirmed?  Would it depend more on my survey equipment then it does to the Civil 3D program?  

Message 6 of 7
_Hathaway

The vertical datum is whatever your survey is based on. Civil3d doesn't know one way or another what vertical datum your on or how to adjust between different vertical datums.
Message 7 of 7
Lieblaw
in reply to: _Hathaway

Thank you for the clear direction. This is what I was figuring so this makes me more comfortable with the data I currently have. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report