Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDSP 2014 search paths

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Joe-Bouza
906 Views, 23 Replies

IDSP 2014 search paths

I'm creating IDSP deployments and I am struct by the fact that the civil3d component does not offer configurable search paths, or am I missing something?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
mathewkol
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Which search paths specifically?  i always bundle an ARG and a custom desktop icon ith all of my deployments.  This takes care of all the AutoCAD paths.  Sometimes I'll bundle  REG file for paths and settings that cannot be set in an ARG.

AutoCAD deployment creator has a page where you can specify paths.  C3D doesn't.  i've used this feature when deploying AutoCAD, but it is very finicky and i've stopped using it.  too many problems.  the ARG works great for most of my customizations.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 24
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mathewkol

Hi Matt
I too have used arg in the past but was unaware I could tack it on to the deployment. I guess you deploy as default the launch c3d to create the arg, then modify the deployment, correct? load in the extra program section?

Plotter paths, plot syle,tool palettes, lisp folder, special fonts to name a few
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 24
rkmcswain

FWIW, I leave the deployments alone and run them straight OOTB, and then post-process the install with startup files (acad.lsp kicks everything off). Been doing it this way since ACAD2005 with zero issues.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 24
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

Sounds good. could you post a sample?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 24
rkmcswain

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Sounds good. could you post a sample?

Hopefully this will help.

http://bit.ly/19yOzDe

Message 7 of 24
Joe-Bouza

I'll give it a look see. thanks
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 24
dgorsman

I do something similar.  The installation is very basic and the default desktop shortcuts are removed.  The "Default user" desktop gets a shortcut to a BAT file which runs the standard set of programs to get the secondary installer going, then hits up the registry with the various settings we want, and adds the appropriate desktop shortcuts.  After that the paths are automatically controlled in a similar fashion as below.  By keeping the shortcuts off the desktop in lieu of a "Set up" icon the user isn't tempted to try running the software right away - its fairly obvious something needs to be done first.  And by separating out the settings into several REG files (as opposed to an ARG file) we can fix certain problems quickly without blowing away the whole profile.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 24
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: dgorsman

I'm sure once I get to digest all the great help I'll understand it but its a bit over my head an overwhelming. But greatly appreciated
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 24
rkmcswain

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
I'm sure once I get to digest all the great help I'll understand it but its a bit over my head an overwhelming. But greatly appreciated

I'm certainly not trying to be a know-it-all or say my way is the best, by any means... 

That aside if you want any more info or help, just let me know.

it may work for some people and not for others..

Message 11 of 24
sstacy344

I am interested in learning more about your deployment method using something other than the arg to customize.  Are you willing to expand on your method or perhaps share an example.

Thanks,  Steve

Message 12 of 24
Joe-Bouza

I hope I did not imply that - it was not my intention. I never got comfortable writing lisp and the thought editing the registry terrifies me. I understand your approach and feel most comfortable with it. I will take you up on the offer soon. I'm in proposal mode at the moment. Will it matter if I already set some paths in the deployment?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 24
dgorsman
in reply to: sstacy344

One of the few problems with an ARG file is that once the profile is in the computer, you need to delete the entire profile to reload it.  Most of the information for the profile is stored in the registry, so it can be exported to a REG file, modified, and re-applied at any time.  By selectively grouping the information into separate REG files those settings can be applied without disturbing the rest of the settings.

Message 14 of 24
mathewkol

I do the same as Randy.  joe, i didn't want to make it sound like I had the ARG like an attachment, i don't.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 15 of 24
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mathewkol

No worries. I just have to graduate from going to each work station a loading a profile arg
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 16 of 24
rkmcswain

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
I hope I did not imply that - it was not my intention. I never got comfortable writing lisp and the thought editing the registry terrifies me. I understand your approach and feel most comfortable with it. I will take you up on the offer soon. I'm in proposal mode at the moment. Will it matter if I already set some paths in the deployment?

(a) no, I didn't think you did. I just didn' want to come off like that to any other readers of this thread.

(2) re: last Q. No, it shouldn't. The only thing you'll need to know at some point is the "stock, default OOTB" support paths**, so that you can include them in what you set. IOW, I don't "append" paths to the SFSP, I just set the whole thing, overwriting whatever may be there.

** I have to do this for each new release

Message 17 of 24
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: sstacy344

Great stuff. thanks for you help (i'll need more I'm sure as I get it going) I have to get to this level the clicking and picking is mind numbing. Everyone know who knows it all Smiley Wink

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 18 of 24
Joe-Bouza

If I may pick you brain on the lisp file:

in paragraph 1 is "ACADLOCATION" a command or do I have to replace that with an install location?

in build string paragraph what is going on with acadloc "......"?

And what is going on in the program filles section? I don't have tool pac or the other items Im not sure of

Also, The OOTB paths are not a server location do I need the full path or as in the dialog and how do you handle the user profile locations?

2014ACAD SEARCH PATH.PNG

pathlisp.PNG

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 19 of 24
dgorsman

Thats where the REG files idea is a good place to start.  Essentially the same as using an ARG file in format and not much more work, *and* it gives you a better idea of how AutoCAD is managing settings behind the scenes for later.

Message 20 of 24
Joe-Bouza

How is that done?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report