Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am stuck.... Road construction

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
wilsonm2000
650 Views, 10 Replies

I am stuck.... Road construction

Hi Guys Trying to get my head around this. We are designing a wind farm track, and need to get volumes from the corridor. We are stripping the peat off. I have created a surface for the bottom of peat over the corridor. So I am able to get the peat cut over that area, which is fine. I am using bottom of peat as a target, so all my volumes will be getting compared to that. I have attached a sketch of my section through the road construction. As you can see, it must be a min 500mm construction fill. I have made the dashed lines showing it in cut. I am stumped on what subassemblies to use for this, that will give me the surfaces needed to work out the volumes. I will need one surface for the excavation, then another surface for the fill. What subassebly would be best for this? Or what would other folk do in this situation? I have put the insertion point for my assembly 500mm below the finished road surface level.  I thought if I do that, i will always get a min of 500mm.

Regards Martin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I don't think any of the standard subassembiles would work for this, but you could make a subassembly with Subassembly Composer that would do just what you need without a lot of effort.

Regards,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 11

Thanks for your rreply.  I have attached a snapshot of the assembly I used for this.  For the road construction make up, I used GenericPavementStructure.  That gave me the link codes I needed to create the surfaces I needed.  🙂

Message 4 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: wilsonm2000

This is the assembly I use for our windfarm roads.

I typically draw a design profile along the stripped peat profile, then raise it 500mm (or whatever) and then create the corridor and derive the formation surface to give my cut and fill volumes (of assumed suitable material - usually Class 2 in the UK). I will calculate the peat strip volumes separately.

There may be cunning way to do this using sections and quantity take off tools but I've not explored this yet.

Donal McMoreland has done some good articles on windfarm roads at http://civilintentions.blogspot.co.uk/

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 11
wilsonm2000
in reply to: neilyj666

Thanks for your reply Neily.  I put the insertion point for my assembly at the bottom of my 500mm deep road construction, so I can just do my vertical alignment along the stripped surface, and i'll always get a minimum of 500mm.  Saves having to raise the alignment by the 500mm once its drawn.

Message 6 of 11
neilyj666

I'm using the GenericPavementStructure too - how do you get the insertion point to be at the bottom?? I've never managed to get this to work hence raising the profile

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
wilsonm2000
in reply to: neilyj666

Once i instert the sub assembly, i move it up 500mm, so that the crosshair of the assembly is sitting at the bottom.

Message 8 of 11
sboon

I've built a few similar assemblies and I can see a potential problem with your method.  If the existing surface is not level then what happens to your fill structure?  Is it supposed to be 500mm above existing at centerline or at the highest point on the section?

If you are going to use the generic pavement sub with a generic daylight to tie into the top of peat then you should be able to code your links so that you can calculate volumes.  Code all of the green links as Top, and the cyan links at the bottom of the lanes and the two daylight links as Datum.

The volumes below the top of peat and above Datum are your Peat Cut, and the volumes below Top and above Datum are your fill.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 11

Spoiler
Hi Big Maz,
Spoiler
I have posted a workflow to the blog that may help:
Spoiler
Spoiler
See the last section on calculating the reusable material where you can define a volume using three or more surfaces as boundaries... a new feature in 2012 apparently that slipped under my radar until a few months back and even then i found it by accident! The post is part of an arcticle I have written for next months AUGI magazine on using C3D for this type of work...
Spoiler
cheers for the mention on the blog Neil.
Message 10 of 11

@donal.mcmoreland wrote:
Spoiler
Hi Big Maz,
Spoiler
I have posted a workflow to the blog that may help:
Spoiler
Spoiler
See the last section on calculating the reusable material where you can define a volume using three or more surfaces as boundaries... a new feature in 2012 apparently that slipped under my radar until a few months back and even then i found it by accident! The post is part of an arcticle I have written for next months AUGI magazine on using C3D for this type of work...
Spoiler
cheers for the mention on the blog Neil.

I'm looking forward to reading the article in AUGI World.....

EESignature

Message 11 of 11

Great, thanks donal, look forward to the article 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report