Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO USE FIELD BOOK DATA

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
maqsoodamc
4494 Views, 10 Replies

HOW TO USE FIELD BOOK DATA

Sir/Madam,

I am using AutoCAD 2012 Civil 3D
I have an alignment which is complete in all respects. Profile also has been finalized. Now the survey (joint cross section) has been carried out and the output is in the form of field books. We have the data in format like we have km and than offset left and right and then elevation.
My question is that how to use this data in civil 3D for creating cross sections and computing earth fill quantities. The data file is attached for understanding.

Best Regards

MAQSOOD
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
L3GO-Ed
in reply to: maqsoodamc

Hello Maqsood.

To create cross section in C3D, you will need atleast one surface. This surface in your case will be created using the Points in your field book, here we refer to it as OGL data.Am assuming you have an alignment defined already, if not do so and follow this simple Procedure.

A) Format your field data

• Arrange your field data in a notepad file with separate columns for (in order); chainage station (Km, no "+" signs or prefixes, just the value, say, 62700-I've attache a sample of this), offset(positive for right,negative for left), elevation and (optionally) Description. Dont forget to save it

B) Create Points Data

• In your drawing, Go to points on the prospector,right click and click create...... the point creation dialog will show up.
  • Choose the 3rd icon, "alignments", click the drop down and choose "Import from file."
  • You will be prompted to browse to the file, "browse to the loaction you saved the file".
  • select the appropriate options when prompted. Then,
  • you will be prompted to select an alignment, click on it,  

If your file was well formatted, then you should have your points created.

C)Create a Tin Surface and add the points data to it.

HTH

Edrisa

Message 3 of 11
maqsoodamc
in reply to: L3GO-Ed

Dear Sir/Madam

import station offset elevation ascii (txet) file done then

Create a Tin Surface and add the points data to it.

In AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 we are follow the following steps to design the new road projects.

1. Creation of Surface.
  2. Import /Export of survey data.
  3. Data Modification.
  4. With the help of survey data in shape PENZD (Point #, Easting, Northing, Elevation and Description) pattern. We draw the contour on new surface and with the help of the contour we marked every point of ground on the surface which is creating in civil 3D.
  5. Than we draw the alignment on the contour data.
  6. After this we draw the profile on this alignment and continue further process like Assembly Cross Section, Corridor, Volume, Creation of Section Views, Plane and Profile Sheets Creation of Section Views, Report Generation etc.

If

1. I have following data in shape of hard copy which we taken from already designed project.

• Alignment Data
  • Profile Data
  • Natural Ground Level (From Field Book)

(File Attached)

In the presence of above data my question is how i can draw Cross Section and take the Quantity of earth work in Civil 3D 2012.

I will highly grateful to you if you send us a demonstration of our question through VIDEO CLIP.

Message 4 of 11
L3GO-Ed

Hello maqsood

Let me hope I got your question, if not let me know.

You seem to suggest that, according to the steps 1-6, you are comfortable with the creation of Cross section views, Profiles, volume computations, Report generation etc. So your Problem is to translate the hard copy design data to a usable format in a C3D corridor model (let me know incase am derailed). Unfortunately you did attach a sample of the hardcopy data, but let me guess with these solutions

• The alignment. In case your data is in form of tangent and curve data, you can plot it out using the alignment layout tools.
  • Profile data.       If this given in Station/ elevation format or in tangent/curve format, I would recommend you can use the File Profile as opposed to     plotting it out. Check out the help -file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/Autodesk%20AutoCAD%20Civil%203D%202014/Help/filesCUG/GUID-67A2129F-3FD2-47A6-8D2E-139D19C1DD55.htm (incase you are using W8)
  • NGL.           This shouldn’t trouble (I guess), from the previous posts

Good luck (sorry am not able to send a video)

Message 5 of 11
rehman400

Road X section Generator Software Version 16 Road Software V-16 is best tools for designing Road X-Sections profiles and plotting hundred auto cad cross sections. user can adopt any Horizontal & vertical scale to ease in view port. user can also change proposed geometry of road, motorway, embankment etc such as left/Right outer bank slope,marking side ditch drain.This intelligent software draw hundred drawings from excel to cad just in few moments i/c text writing Cut & Fill area's in cad & picking cut &fill area's from cad to excel for preparing earth work statement in excel format, simultaneously. Please Contact for more information's at: hafeezddpmu@gmail.com or visit https://youtu.be/pMcBx3nv0Mw https://www.facebook.com/hafeez.rehman.9809
Message 6 of 11
rehman400

Slam Dear Maqsood,

plz visit below link for your solution 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OTP59yMOxY

Message 7 of 11
udeo1

i went through these steps and got this notifications"Invalid characters found in input string 'ÿþ8'. (ÿþ8)". what will be the solution??
"

Message 8 of 11
udeo1

I went through these steps but without completing my task it notify me as "Invalid characters found in input string 'ÿþ8'. (ÿþ8)". what will be the solution?

Message 9 of 11
L3GO-Ed
in reply to: udeo1

Hello Udeo,

Am guessing that that message comes at the point when you try to add the .txt file for the alignment profile, right? If so I believe that your file is perhaps not properly formatted according to the "import" options you are trying to use. I cant be reaaly sure as to the invalid charactres you have included, but if possible, please share the file you are trying to import. alternatively download the sample file above and try to compare with yours to the dot.

HTH,

Message 10 of 11
rehman400

SOLUTION OF USE FIELD BOOK DATA IS AS UNDER BELOW LINK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OTP59yMOxY
Message 11 of 11
udeo1

Yes, i am not formatting my file well as when ever i try to save my excel
file changing to .csv file to .txt file, it is not directly formatted as
autocad civil 3d required. For this i have to do minor change in text file
which is very complex..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report