Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO USE FIELD BOOK DATA

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
asad55db
1532 Views, 7 Replies

HOW TO USE FIELD BOOK DATA

Dear Friends,

I have an alignment which is complete in all respects. Profile also has been finalized. now the the survey (joint cross section) has been carried out and the output is in the form of field books. we hav the data in formate like we hav km and than offset left and right and than elevation.

my question is that  how to use this data in civil 3d for creating cross sections and computing earth fill quantities. the data file is attached for understanding.

thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
MJP42
in reply to: asad55db

Input your data into an Excel file using four columns (1) Station (2) Offset (3) Elevation (4) Description.  Then save the Excel file as text using the CSV format option.  You could simply input the data into a text file but Excel is easier.

In C3D, create points from alignment using the import from file option.  You will be prompted to select from several different formats.  Use “Station, Offset, Elevation, Description”.

Message 3 of 8
asad55db

Dear,

i go to civil 3d points tool drop down than create point alignment than station/offset. when i select this option it ask me to give station than offset than description and elevation. but this is a manual type of point creation. means i have to insert each point manually. but when i go to import from file option i dnt get any formate required. all formates contains P# E,N,Z formate.

Please guide me how to and where i get that format of station-offset-elevation and description.

Best Regards

ASAD

Message 4 of 8
jtelder

Just below "station offset", choose "import from file". After you create your csv file, go into windows explorer and locate your file, right click it and choose "rename" and change the extension from .csv to .txt. It will ask if you are sure, tell it yes. The only format that the "import from file" will look for is .txt. After you pick your file there are several import formats to choose from (I think "Sta,Off,El,Desc" is #5), then it will ask for invalid indicators, just accept what it defaults to, and then it will ask to pick alignment. Zip, Zap, Zowie, and Swoosh, there you are. If you have a large file, it will take a moment or two, and you may even think she's locked up, but , as grannie used to say, "WAIT FOR IT!".........

JT
Message 5 of 8
Jeff_M

Here's a LINK to the 2012 help file for importing points along an alignment.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 6 of 8
asad55db

Dear,

Thanks for your guidance. now i am very close to the solution. but i am facing strange type of problem now. i have attached file representing the data plzz guide me if data entry is right or not. after that when i save the file as csv comma delimated formate and after that when i change its extension it remains unchanged and no msg appears. after that when i try to load it in civil 3d i cant see my file as it shows only text files.

any how if i change the excel data as text space delimated even than i cant see the file in civil browser. again i copied the data and pas in text file and loaded in civil 3d using all options than it draw the point only on center and also give the msg that invalid charachters.

please help me out to solve this issue.

Best of Regards

asad

Message 7 of 8
asad55db
in reply to: jtelder

Dear

Thank you so much the problem is solved... actually i was not properly changing the extension of csv file. now i have got solution thank you so much really.

i hope to get max input from this group in future too. thanks again.

Asad

Message 8 of 8
maqsoodamc

Dear All,

I am using AutoCAD 2012 Civil 3D

I have an alignment which is complete in all respects. Profile also has been finalized. Now the survey (joint cross section) has been carried out and the output is in the form of field books. We have the data in format like we have km and than offset left and right and then elevation.

My question is that how to use this data in civil 3d for creating cross sections and computing earth fill quantities. The data file is attached for understanding.

Anybody have suggestions.

MAQSOOD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report