Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if a dwg is C3D or just AutoCAD?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
John7
3215 Views, 6 Replies

How to tell if a dwg is C3D or just AutoCAD?

This is a pretty basic question but I need to know.

We export many of our alignment etc C3D drawings to AutoCAD before sharing them with other subs (depending on whether they are using AutoCAD 2002 LT, MicroStation, etc.)

We have a habit of renaming the file before sending it, removing the ACAD- prefix and restoring the original file name.

So my question is, when looking at two idential file names, how does one determine if its C3D or just vanila AutoCAD? Is there a way in (file) Explorer or upon opening with C3D can I quiry something? (I don't want to resort to checking alignment entities are C3D and not just arcs and lines.).

Thanks

John

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dgordon
in reply to: John7

John7,

Since we have many styles and settings set up in our template drawing, the lack of  said styles would indicate that the drawing has been exported.

all the styles would be standard and all the settings layer zero if it was a acad export.

Dan

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 7
ccoles

We've adopted a different technique. Our drawings start with a 'C3D-' prefix for our Civil 3D design files, and we remove the prefix for any exported files. It really helps keep them straight for us.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

The one thing to look at is in Civil3D the surfaces, corridors, and such are grouped together like a block or xref when picked.  After the export these items become individual entities.

Message 5 of 7
troma

So basically, afaik and the consensus here, the answer to your question is no.

There is no way to tell in windows explorer without opening the drawing and looking at either objects in the drawing or styles.  If anyone can tell me otherwise I would be very interested.

Personally, when I export a drawing I always leave the ACAD prefix, and add the year to it too.  So you end up with a file called 'ACAD2004...' or 'ACAD2002...' etc.  Then you know what you've got.  (But this requires everyone in the office to do the same thing.....)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 6 of 7
neilyj666

@John7 wrote:

This is a pretty basic question but I need to know.

We export many of our alignment etc C3D drawings to AutoCAD before sharing them with other subs (depending on whether they are using AutoCAD 2002 LT, MicroStation, etc.)

We have a habit of renaming the file before sending it, removing the ACAD- prefix and restoring the original file name.

So my question is, when looking at two idential file names, how does one determine if its C3D or just vanila AutoCAD? Is there a way in (file) Explorer or upon opening with C3D can I quiry something? (I don't want to resort to checking alignment entities are C3D and not just arcs and lines.).

Thanks

John

Two identical files names with different content = recipe for potential disaster....!!!!!!

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 7
Neilw_05
in reply to: neilyj666

A sure way is to open each drawing and use QSELECT to see if any C3D objects show up. Another approach might be to use Design Center to list all the blocks in the files. You would need to run some tests to determine what blocks appear in a C3D dwg vs. a C3D dwg that has been converted to ACAD.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report