Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop synchronizing data reference when opening a drawing?

51 REPLIES 51
SOLVED
Message 1 of 52
wang890
10877 Views, 51 Replies

How to stop synchronizing data reference when opening a drawing?

is there a way to stop the synchronization at the start? i would like to synchoronze manually later.

any system variables?
Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
51 REPLIES 51
Message 2 of 52
mwright
in reply to: wang890

not sure about system variables, but you can always copy the drawing to your local machine and unhook the network cable.

just a thought that might help.

Matt
Message 3 of 52
Matt.Anderson

Promote?

or Civil 3d 2007 pre-SP3.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 4 of 52
wang890

if that's the solution then forget it. other people has to share my alignments and profiles.

what a stupid function the promote is.
Stantec
Dell Precision 5530, Prism M320PU, C3D 14/17/19
Message 5 of 52
juliarh

I'm replying to this to see if there are any new answers.  The original question was posted in 2007.

I'm working with C3D 2010 and synchronizing references when I open a drawing is bogging down my system and I can't open the file.

I've tried recover.  It runs an audit, finds no errors, then starts synchronizing the references and I get nowhere.

The annoying part is that I don't need the references sychronized.  I KNOW that they haven't changed since I saved.  In fact, I don't even need them in the drawing.  I needed them there earlier, but I don't need them there permanently.  Now I can't even load this drawing as an xref in another drawing because it keeps getting stuck on synchronize.  And I can't remove the references because I can't open the file.

Please, please, please... Somebody from Autodesk please address this!

Oh, and promote is useful in some situations.  But that is NOT a good solution to this problem.

Message 6 of 52
NoXrefs
in reply to: juliarh

All I know is that this is total BS.  I have asking Autodesk for the last 8 years to give us way to open these g.d. drawings without references, and they've never figured it out.  I've been sitting here for 15 minutes waiting on a drawing THAT IS ON MY DESKTOP to open while trying to synchronize references.

FIGURE IT OUT.

Message 7 of 52
mathewkol

They can figure it out, it's just that not enough people have asked for that feature to be implemented. At least, that's my take on it.

Sounds like your issue is that syncronization is slow and not that things are syncing upon open. While I can't offer any meaningful suggestions on how to speed up sync, I can suggest renaming the source files temporarily so they cannot be found so the sync doesn't happen.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 8 of 52
tspoon005

I have the opposite problem, my drawing opens but won't synchronize a few of the data references until I manually sync them.  This makes publishing an issue because when I publish, it opens the drawing from scratch (with unsynched data refs) and plots, but the end result has my profiles way off.

Any way to get it fully synched upon opening?

Message 9 of 52
doni49
in reply to: tspoon005

@tspoon005 wrote:

I have the opposite problem, my drawing opens but won't synchronize a few of the data references until I manually sync them.  This makes publishing an issue because when I publish, it opens the drawing from scratch (with unsynched data refs) and plots, but the end result has my profiles way off.

Any way to get it fully synched upon opening?

Check this thread out.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Profiles-Not-Synchronizing-upon-Open/td-p/3667120 

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 52
vrusso
in reply to: doni49

Using C3D 2014 and I am running into this issue.

File xref management and Data shortcuts are being stored through a Projectwise enviroment to add to the complication.

I have multipule Data Shortcuts: surfaces, alignments and Pipe Networks that are being used to create profiles all which I know have not changed, and the drawing upon openning tries to synchronize all the data shortcuts as a result prevents the drawing from openning.

Has anyone identified a means of turning this off/on on startup?

Message 11 of 52
Joe-Bouza

other things that may help: turn automatic rebuid off, and once you are happy with any projection gradings extract and get rid of them
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 52
dbinkney
in reply to: NoXrefs

I agree. It's absurd that there is no way "safe open" a drawing without synchronization.

Message 13 of 52
aluko0719
in reply to: dbinkney

the only way that i know of would be to rename the xref/shortcut drawing, and then when you want to resycn, rename the file back to the orginal.

Message 14 of 52
JamesMaeding
in reply to: aluko0719

The real problem here is Civil3D does not tell us what its doing.

I have run into this synch issue many times, and its usually because I got outsiders files and am trying to open them.

Then, sometimes I am troubleshooting stuff for a team that does not know how to solve things.

As a CAD manager, it is a scary thing to not have info on what a program is doing.

I think Autodesk should do some kind of diagnostic feedback mode that told us what was being looked for and other info too I could list.

This is a non-architectural change I would be asking for, but C3D development is not Autodesk's thing currently.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 15 of 52
csexcion
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Hi. Does anyone find a solution for this issue? I encounter the same problem. I created my alignments & profiles in a different file for designing, put it in data shortcut and use it in separate file for my drawing productions. I did some fancy daylight in the drawings using grading. Then I made adjustment to my original alignment. When I open my drawing, it will synchronize and then hang up. I can't open the drawing file now. I'm hoping to find solution here.

Message 16 of 52
RobertMansson
in reply to: csexcion

I'm running in to the same problem over here and found this thread. Feels like Autodesk is not fixing this anytime soon (which is absurd, given this is a massive hurdle). Basicaly, this prevents us from using D-ref's as synchronising xrefes clogs down our entire Drafting methodology.

Message 17 of 52
aluko0719
in reply to: RobertMansson

we also have this problem. the only work around that I found was to copy the file to your desktop. disconnect that computer from the network then open up the drawing. this will open up the drawing with no xref's or dxref's. delete all dxref's then save (for us it is usually the surface). then reconnect the computer to the network and copy the file back to the server (as a precaution I always rename the original file something different). now when you open the drawing back up the xrefs are there but the deleted dxref's are not there. this is pain in the butt to do but if you have hours or days on a drawing it works.

Message 18 of 52
Brin33
in reply to: aluko0719

Still here C3D 2018  drawing with pipe networks takes 30 mins to open sitting with Synchronizing files.

Cant find any reason for how long its taking... dwg is 18Mb and the xrefs are saved locally.

one drawing had 70,000 regapps in, these have been purged, saving and reopening doesn't speed it up.

Message 19 of 52
JamesMaeding
in reply to: Brin33

I personally do not get why people use pipe networks. You can do all your design and production with alignments.

Any company that needed the 3d pipe could make a lisp to sample alignments at key points and 5 ft along to get a 3d pline, then run sweep to get the pipe. I did that long ago and never looked back. Then you can do hundreds of 3d pipes with perfect stability as nothing changes until you update it. Here is an example:

pipes.jpg

The little thin pipes are 4" drains. This is for a commercial site.

I've seen people use revit for full modeling as part of a BIM process, but they take weeks to do all that.

I did it in about 2 days once I had the cad files and plans, complete with hydrants and things we have lisps for also:

pipes2.jpg

Do your business a favor and stick to alignments for utils.

Read this too: xyht Article 

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 20 of 52
Brin33
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Interesting work around.

That may work for small networks, but the team have several networks that need clash detecting, parts catalogues accurate joints, etc...  and all the other benefits that come from the network tools.

The main point of my reply was to show that The original issue posted in 2007 still doesn't have a resolution.

sitting there waiting for the system to do something doesn't help anyone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report