Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start pit excavation in c3d 2014

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
arshadmirza786
1413 Views, 6 Replies

How to start pit excavation in c3d 2014

should any one guide me how to start pit excavtion on a contour surface

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: arshadmirza786

Can you give a bit more information - are you looking at a small borrow pit or a large open pit mine?

There are two basic ways:

1 Using gradings: You can either start at the existing ground and work down or start at the pit base and work up, both of which will need a feature line either draped over existing ground or set to pit base level and you can then create a grading to the required horizon.

2. Using a corridor - this has some advantages in that you can target various stratum horizons and specify different slope criteria and is arguably more stable than using gradings but it has difficulty modelling sharp corners.

If you can provide more detail about what information you have and what you are trying to achieve I can advise further.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 7
arshadmirza786
in reply to: neilyj666

I am trying to excavate a power house 

and want to under stand from where to start

Message 4 of 7
neilyj666

Wow...thats some excavation - I'm assuming it is in feet rather than metres; not that it makes a difference to the methodology? I assume you have some knowledge of Civil as the follwoing is not a step by step method

It looks like the existing ground coverage won't be big enough to show the proposed top of excavation so you will need to extend the existing ground coverage.

First thing is to build and existing surface from the contours (which is explained in help and http://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/adding-contours-to-a-surface-youre-doing-it-wrong/ but you will need to extend as mentioned.

Then I would create feature lines that define the bottom of the Class E concrete and the bottom of the 4:1 slope and use offsets to build a series of featurelines defining the excavation to above existing ground.

Create a surface from these features with an appropriate supplementing/weeding factor and use minimum distance between surfaces to derive a trimming line which can be added in as an Outer boundary

You can use gradings exclusively for the main pit excavation but they can be a bit buggy and have a tendency to crash the drawing.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
neilyj666

You can also just use 2D polylines with an assigned elevation....

2013-11-08 12_37_05-Object Viewer.jpg

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
arshadmirza786

Sorry I could not mension these dimensions are in meters

Message 7 of 7
neilyj666

The principle is still the same...

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report